Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy some long tube headers for my 2000 Silverado with the 5.3 v8. They must be either 1 3/4 or 1 5/8 diameter and must be stainless steel. I'm looking for decent power gains particular in low and mid range rpm and good fitment without any further modifications to get the headers to fit. Also I have to spend less than $500 and would like to stay around $300 if possible. So far I've only seen two options: the speed engineering headers off of eBay, which offer everything I want at around $250. And the JBA headers at $470. These are the cheapest ones I've found. I'd like the speed engineering headers mainly because of the price, but I am worried as because I've never heard of this brand. If anyone here has bought them could you give me your review on them? Power gains, fitment, durability? Also if anyone has the JBA headers I'd like to know about them. I'd rather have them over speed engineering but they are double the price. Also if anyone knows any other headers that I should check out let me know!

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
You get what you pay for. Unless you want to keep changing header gaskets every year due to the cheap flanges don't cheap out. I made that mistake before with eBay headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
Maybe you might get lucky. I just know from my experience about the flanges that warp on cheap headers. I think mine were headman headers from fleabay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
3,092 Posts
Overall Speed Engineering headers have got a lot of positive reviews feedback over on performancetrucks.net. Some people had fitment issues which typically were related to sagging/bad motor mounts but they do seem to stand behind them and will take them back for a refund if they don't work for whatever reason. They are "cheap" long tubes made overseas so quality control may not be 100% but for the price and support they are still hard to beat. You can buy similar long tubes on ebay for slightly cheaper/same price probably made in the same factory, but they aren't promoted much anymore and who knows about support on them. I'm not sure how their warranty or prices are through ebay, they have a store to buy from direct also. http://www.speed-engineering.com/

If you want nearly guaranteed perfect fitment and/or quality then double or triple your budget and look at those offerings.

· Registered
251 Posts
I've had a set of the Speed Engineering headers and ORY on my 07.5 for about a month now and love them. The workmanship on them is very nice, all tig welds and the flange is machined from solid stock and is 3/8" thick.

I had a we'll known private mechanic here in the 405 do some work on my truck and he has a set on his personal Silverado. It's night and day over stock with the mods I have (BTR AFM/DOD delete, stage 1 BTR cam, true 3" single exhaust, CAI and a custom tune). They are a popular budget brand around here also with good reviews.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,109 Posts
Why long tube? Shorties will help build any power from idle to mid range. This is where you need it the most unless your taking the truck to the track. The potential for any gains are in the range that makes the most sense. You will still gain noise if that's what your after. No guaranty you will make power or torque at all, but that's where the most appreciable potential lies.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rambodog said:
Why long tube? Shorties will help build any power from idle to mid range. This is where you need it the most unless your taking the truck to the track. The potential for any gains are in the range that makes the most sense. You will still gain noise if that's what your after. No guaranty you will make power or torque at all, but that's where the most appreciable potential lies.
Shorties will hardly yield any gains but from what I've read and dyno charts just long tube headers alone can gain around 30 whp with a tune sometimes more.

· Registered
251 Posts
Z71will said:
Might get them. Just want to see more personal reviews from others and mainly long term results. Also dyno results with and without a tune from them.
You'll need a tune regrardless if you delete the cats, all that will be added is more fuel and a touch more timing. As far as numbers from a dyno, those are fine tuning results in a closed environment almost. My truck was tuned on the fly and the "butt dyno" shows a big improvement over stock.

Sound, my truck is definitely louder with the 3" piping and a Thrush welded series muffler. But it's very mellow and well behaved at speed and interior drone is minimal IMO. But when you stand on it, it screams.

Shorties, they don't flow much over stock and you'll pay more for a good set that won't fall apart in 2 years or less than you will for the Speed Engineering long tubes. You'll gain more torque in the low to mid range with long tubes and the Hp gains aren't seen until you get up between 5,000 & 6,000rpm. Which we all know, most of our trucks live between 1,500 & 3,500rpm. If you plan on bigger future mods such as a bigger cam, converter, head work, stroker kit or a power adder such as a Procharger, turbo or NOS, you'll want long tubes.

· Registered
1,601 Posts
Yes, Shorties provide little gains. Maybe 3-5HP compared to Longtubes which could yield 20+. I use ARH 1-3/4"x3" with catted Y-Pipe, Best investment I have made. I have had them for a little over 2 years and they are holding up great. Honestly cant say how much HP I gained but it is very noticeable after a tune. Combined with the 3" Corsa Sport catback, it sounds amazing.

· Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also what header bolts should I buy? OEM? And what other things should I get with these headers? I'm buying the headers from speed engineering with the y pipe included. I want to combine it with a borla xr1 exhaust and a high flow cat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.