Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have searched the site for hours and still aren't positive on which size tire I need. Yes I even looked at the tire fitment chart. Tires will be on 2010 z71 silverado, 18" wheels, and 2" RC leveling kit. I am getting Toyo MT and can't put my finger on the magic tire size. What I've gathered is a 285/65/R18 should fit perfect?? My friend at the tire shop says I should run a 275/70/R18. Please help me decide. I could be wrong about both sizes.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have run Toyo MTs in the past on other vehicles and they are an outstanding tire. I was going to put them on my truck but a couple things held me back.

1. They do not come in a 285/65 R18.

2. The 275/70 R18 is a very tall tire and will almost certainly rub with only a level kit. This size is also on national backorder for 6-8 weeks.

3. The 275/65 R18 was the size I had decided on if I was going Toyo. (I was worried this might look a little small)

In the end after a month of research I decided to go with the Nitto Trail Grappler in 285/65 R18.

-Eli

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've got 275 75 18 on the stock z71 rims with just a levelling kit and there is no rubbing at all, even on full lock. I've got about 1/2" between the tire and the fender running BFG AT

·
Registered
706 Posts
Do you possibly mean 275/70/18 being the BFG AT is not offered in 275/75/18's. And if so, your quite lucky they dont rub but being its not a wide tire that may be the reason. Its still a 33" tire though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah sorry, you're right. They are 275 70 18's. They fit with no issues at all, they're 10.83" wide and 33.16" diameter. Never had them rub, even when pushing them off road!

·
Registered
53 Posts
slw206 said:
Do you possibly mean 275/70/18 being the BFG AT is not offered in 275/75/18's. And if so, your quite lucky they dont rub but being its not a wide tire that may be the reason. Its still a 33" tire though.
The 275's are not as wide, and only 1/2" bigger in diameter. That would only increase the effective size by 1/4" I don't see that being an issue

·
Registered
365 Posts

I have 285/65/18 toyo open country's, 2" level, 1" rear lift via 2.25" rear blocks. OD 33" on the tire. No rubbing with some room to spare. My tires look great but I wish I had gone with some 275/70/18 michelins. Much better mileage (the difference in rotating mass on this more highway-friendly tire will outweigh the 0.2" increase in OD I think), slightly taller, and much better for driving on the beach (something that often weighs heavily in my decisions asi drive on the beach quite often). Looks aren't everything imo.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 2.5" RC lift and ordered the RC 1.25 body lift so I can put on 295/65r18 Duratracs. I plan to do the Nor Cal nick fender mod just to be sure to have plenty of clearance. This route is all things I can do myself in the driveway! The 285/65s work for sure, Good luck

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Wow! Nice!
Can you post some pics of the truck at a full turn (lock), with up close in the wheel well? We'd love to see what the clearance looks like.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.