Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to this whole diesel thing. If I straight pipe the exhaust, will that raise the EGTs? I've heard that the exhaust plays a key role in keeping the temps low.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. Is it still safe to do it, or should I get some type of EGT gauge?

·
Registered
43 Posts
imnot sure on that but i do know that aftermarket exhaust sounds amazing on these trucks. You should really look into a chip too they might be able to help with the egts im not sure but they might have a setting or something for that. Either way a chip makes these duramaxes extremely powerful. Im thinkin bout getting a red or black 2500HD duramax in the next few years. Anyway congrats on the purchase man got any pics?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Jon as soon as you start adding more fuel the egt's can climb alarmingly fast. A straight pipe won't hurt a thing. If you plan on mods a gauge pac should be the first thing.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
43 Posts
very nice truck brother. Is it an 06 or what. looks like my 06 1500 i got now. White and everything and guess what mine came from a [email protected] dealership too haha

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's an 04. It needs some towing mirrors, and I plan on blacking out some of the accenting features (as well as doing the rockers in bedliner).

·
Registered
43 Posts
sweet post some pics when u do that

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
It will lower more flow u need to get the exhaust out as fast as possible

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
I got a 5" straight pipe on mine and on my high tune my egts (while racing) got to 1400 not bad for a quick burst but if I was towing and was at 1400 up a hill not good on stock they stay around 400-800

·
Registered
598 Posts
my buddy and i put a 4 inch straight pipe on his 06 cummins, turbo back. it lowered his EGTs. keep the cat though, some states are really anal about straight piped diesels, just in case you get flagged at the inspection station

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strangely enough, in my far-left state, we don't have inspections. Yay!

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
None of that here mine straight from the down pipe back dumped over the axle with a 6" tip I would advice dumping it sounds so good

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's how my 6.0 has it. How does the diesel sound without a muffler? I kinda like how quiet it is in the cab right now, but it needs to yowl from the outside :D

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
It's quit on the inside but super loud outside your is dumped I thought it came out the side and thanks its gettig there

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it about as quiet as stock?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts