Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is electrical or mechanical, or with my luck, both..

So, winter is here, and I spent 5 minutes in 23 degree weather trying to get my key to turn the door lock. The keyfob doesn't work more than 5% of the time to unlock, and just recently, it started acting flaky when I tried to lock the truck. I have already cleaned the keyfob guts and even replaced the shell, which seemed to help for a bit, but that was during the summer and it's right back to pretty much not working.

My primary concern is what needs to be fixed? Keyfob again? Door Lock motor? Something else? I don't want to rely on lock deicer every day.

One option I had in mind, if I can find money, is to go with a remote starter...not that I'm afraid of going out to start it, but it would be nice to not have to do so, and to also have a working way to get in to my truck. Plus this is not the time to get a good deal on them..

The other option is to replace something, whatever that may be.

Any ideas?

10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a pic of the actual circuit board.. Looks like the contacts are rusty a bit I think.. I tried cleaning them with alcohol and will test again...

If I need a new Keyfob, I may opt to get a remote starter instead...GM or Viper..

· Registered
1,470 Posts
Those fobs, no matter the make, are doomed after about 10-15yrs of use. I've been thru the same thing on other vehicles and its just easier to replace them. Pony on up and get new factory fobs programmed or go with that custom alarm/entry system that you've wanted.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
ricka182 said:
One option I had in mind, if I can find money, is to go with a remote starter...not that I'm afraid of going out to start it, but it would be nice to not have to do so, and to also have a working way to get in to my truck. Plus this is not the time to get a good deal on them..
Best to check local laws about this first. Some cities frown upon remote started vehicles.

· Banned
2,175 Posts
ricka182 said:
This is a pic of the actual circuit board.. Looks like the contacts are rusty a bit I think.. I tried cleaning them with alcohol and will test again...

If I need a new Keyfob, I may opt to get a remote starter instead...GM or Viper..
I don't see the pic? I'm sure you replaced the battery. Either way the problem is most likely the buttons not the board unless the battery is low. As stated the new fob is the easiest way to go. Although they used to have kits with new button pad if you wanted to go that route.

10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the pic... dummy forgot to post it..

10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
judsonlimited said:
ricka182 said:
Best to check local laws about this first. Some cities frown upon remote started vehicles.
Maybe in Texas, up here, almost everyone either remote starts or just goes out to start it manually. No one cares about the concept of letting a cold engine sit at idle being that bad. People have been doing it for years with no issues. Not just for warmth either..hard to drive with 1/4" ice on the windshield exterior and fog on the inside from your body warmth...

· Registered
9 Posts
i would go full remote start. granted this truck i just purchased is brand new and its the first time i have ever had remote start, but with that said.....Its awesome to not have to go out and start the truck with the key on those cold, rainy, windy, snowing mornings or nights when you can hit the remote start and have that thing warming up while you finish getting everything together. I think it will be beneficial to you in the long run. i can understand not having funds or finding a good deal but i think it will pay for itself after some use. Hope you get it figured out though in those 23 deg morning man.

· Banned
2,175 Posts
Take a pencil eraser and clean the contacts for the buttons. The right side looks corroded. Leave the pad out and jumper it with clean flat head screw driver. If it works fine the button is not contacting.

BTW I'm all for the remote start either way. Its always good to let the oil start circulating and warming before you take off. I always use remote start even in summer.

· Registered
9 Posts
i agree about the remote start for the engine purposes as well. My wifes GMC Terrain does not have remote start but i make it a point to go start it before she leaves for work, not only to warm it up for her but to get the engine woke up and ready for her foot....

· Registered
122 Posts
I pack my locks with silicone grease to keep the water out and keep them working thru snow and ice.

+1 that it looks like your issue is corrosion in the FOB.

I also am looking at the Viper since its remote start has better options than the OEM remote start. AND the Viper is less money than the OEM AND adds an alarm.

· Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
3,145 Posts
Other than the key fob not working, is your lock stiff to unlock anyway? Maybe you need to open up the door panel and lube those linkages and clean out the lock itself as well. If it gets gummed up bad enough the power lock may not be strong enough to lock/unlock.

10,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That could be it as well SB...never thought of that. Because yes, it generally is hard to turn even in warm weather when the Keyfob fails..

I've since cleaned the keyfob contacts with an eraser and it does look like it removed some of the gunk. I'm going out in a few minutes to test it, but I'll look into getting the linkage cleaned up a bit as well..

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Didn't you know that idling your truck in the cold if a fire hazard and the oil is to thick to reach all the parts of the engine when its cold. its best to reline it once you start it, red means warmup.

· Registered
572 Posts
Silveraydoe said:
i agree about the remote start for the engine purposes as well. My wifes GMC Terrain does not have remote start but i make it a point to go start it before she leaves for work, not only to warm it up for her but to get the engine woke up and ready for her foot....
I certainly see it much differently. I would never start a cold engine and let it idle. Under this condition the engine has the lowest oil flow it will ever see. For protection of the engine, start the vehicle, put it in gear and drive off. The oil flow will be greater and the engine will warm up much quicker.

· Registered
572 Posts
ricka182 said:
Not sure if this is electrical or mechanical, or with my luck, both..

So, winter is here, and I spent 5 minutes in 23 degree weather trying to get my key to turn the door lock. The keyfob doesn't work more than 5% of the time to unlock, and just recently, it started acting flaky when I tried to lock the truck. I have already cleaned the keyfob guts and even replaced the shell, which seemed to help for a bit, but that was during the summer and it's right back to pretty much not working.....
The key cylinder is only mechanical to unlock the vehicle. If you want to always be able to get in the vehicle, keep the lock cylinder maintained with lock lubricant. No electric involved other than for the alarm.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.