Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted a subwoofer anywhere other than under the rear seat? I have an 09 Silverado extended cab WT. The middle seat enclosure from stealthbox dont work for the WT model

Not looking for anything cray just good low end bass. Budget is around $1,000 for everything.

My thoughts
- Custom enclosure built into the middle seat up front?
- Kick panel 6.5s? anyone had success with q logic?
- Replacing rear speakers with 6.5" midbass drivers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
JL Audio lists this option for your model year with 40/20/40 front seats:

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-stealt ... p-40-20-40

Does your truck have something different for seating? I had a StealthBox in my '05 Tahoe and loved it - good deep, tight bass without boominess.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
That will only work with trucks that have the LT trim or the SLE, so they have the center seat that has storage in the top and bottom compartment. Of course some people have swapped to that style center seat, but otherwise only those two trim packages have it from factory.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've seen a number of those center seats listed used at pretty reasonable prices (people pull them out and install the SLT-style center consoles). You could swap out the center seat or get a used console with sub (and replace the Bose speaker with something decent). Just thoughts...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just went with a single 10" vented enclosure mounted behind passenger seat. I have the split bench seat in rear so smaller seat is folded up and box is there. That 1 alpine type r 10 sounds better than any under the floor setup I've heard.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Put 2 15's in the bed, have them cut a hole in the front ball of the bed, and the rear wall of the cab, and seal the 2. then they build a custom box(ends up looking like a flush mounted tool box) around the subs and amps, sealed up all real nice. u dont loose any room, and u have a hard hitting system that no one expects

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
^^That's a blow through, and that ends up taking bed space, not to mention you lower the value of your truck for resale unless you find a person who wants an hard hitting system as well, but those are far and few between.

As for the consoles, yes, you can buy them, I installed one in my truck, but I'm not sure what you consider cheap, most sell for $350+, so it's a nice chunk of change. The best bet would be remove the lower seat cushion and build a box in the spot and put cloth around it to match. Of course you lose the center seat as a seat, but they may or may not be an issue.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here's what I did.. Mounted my amp the back cab wall towards passenger side. Then picked up the JL stealth box for my center console. I hardly used the bin under the seat so replacing with the enclosure was my best option. It's sturdy enough for my 175lb ass to sit on too! Love the extra boom.. Not too much, not too little, just right!

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rob_L said:
You could swap out the center seat or get a used console with sub (and replace the Bose speaker with something decent). Just thoughts...
Do you know what kind of power is supplied to the bose speaker with a factory set up? and what diameter the speaker is. Id like a little more low end than what the bose offers, and if it would be easy to put a higher quality speaker in there I would do that.

Basically im trying to figure out what speaker in particular would work well, essentially a "plug and play" type deal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you do upgrade your component speakers, you won't get much more of a noticeable sound if you don't put an amp in the mix. Most factory head units have 3V outputs, maybe 5 if your lucky. They just don't have the power to driver good after market speakers to their fullest potential. Yea, you'll be able to adjust the base from 0-2 up to 5-6 and hear less distortion than that of factory speakers, but based on what you're looking for, you'd likely be happier investing a little more IMO..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone installed a rear set up with 2 single seats leaving space in the middle to have a sub box set up? Trying to see if the seat mounts would match up to allow the single seats on both sides and a middle box build.

Thanks!! Picking up my truck today!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Rybo z71 LT said:
Has anyone installed a rear set up with 2 single seats leaving space in the middle to have a sub box set up? Trying to see if the seat mounts would match up to allow the single seats on both sides and a middle box build.

Thanks!! Picking up my truck today!!
Do you mean, take out the rear seats and mount two front seats in the back so there is space for a box in between?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the reply CardBoard ... I wasn't thinking of that exactly ( but i like the idea) Rather, I was contemplating just putting another single passenger side folding rear seat behind the driver to allow for for a box in the middle of them. And even keeping it elbow height as if it were a center console. I have 2 Alpine 10" type R's that have some deep magnets and thing they would sound great in a ported box of the crew cab.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have an '09 WT also. I have a 3-cup console on the way and plans for a Stealthbox if/when I upgrade the sound. I feel like it is the best option for the money so I can keep my underseat tray and tools.

Why make it difficult. The jumpseats aren't that expensive when you factor in the better appearance and out-of-sight storage that doesn't dump into your rear floorboard if you raise the armrest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.