Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread for those that like to surf fish. You can post about what bait/tackle you are using, what you are catching, favorite fishing beaches, beach driving tips/gear, maybe try to meet up, etc. of course, fish tales are welcome (like the time you ALMOST reeled in a giant shark, probably was bigger than jaws)

I am from the south east pa / northern de area and typically fish at cape henlopen state park in southern de. I don't make it down a lot, but always have fun when I do.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,569 Posts
I went to the outer banks last year for the first time. Went in mid July so fishing was kind of slow.

I was targeting sharks mainly, but also had a rod setup for blues since I got a few of them on the shark rig.

Last year was sort of my learning experience. First time really spending a food amount of time on the sand with the truck and first time really specifically targeting a type of fish.

I spent a good deal of time before hand preparing for the trip. I built a rod holder for the bed and getting a variety of tackle I thought would be good.

Well half the stuff I got wasn't ideal Haha. But now for this year I know what worked, what didn't and what to try next.

All in all I ended up using a Penn battle 2 8000 reel paired with a ugly stik 13 foot rod. That was my shark setup.

Then I was using a old, cheap shimanno rod and reel combo. It's an 8 foot rod and I think a 4000 series reel. That was my wild card rod. I had that one setup with a few different rigs. Fluke rigs, bluefish rigs and a few others.

Then for the jig rod I had a 7 foot Penn prevail and a 3000 series reel.

I'm getting a whole new setup for the 8 foot rod. Will be a Penn battle 2 reel. Not sure on the rod yet.

May change up the 13 footer too. Reel will stay the same but I wasn't impressed with the ugly stik rod. Kind of lacked the power to throw the heavier weights its claimed to be rated for. The tip is really soft so it just flexes too much on the cast for my liking.

I did however catch a few sharks. I believe they were spinner sharks, but I had a few locals who seemed to know what they were talking about tell me one was a sharp nose, and one was a black tip pup.

Its tricky doing it by yourself since it's very important to me to release the fish in a timely manner in order to let it live if I'm not keeping it. I dont like killing the fish for no good reason.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like a fun trip. where in the obx were you? I spent a week in avon last august. no fishing though. how big were the sharks? any pics?

I have only caught saktes/rays off the de beaches, but I was never really targeting anything specific. the skates/rays are always a bit weird to get the hook out. I did buy a chain mail (male?) glove this christmas so I feel more ok sticking my hand down a tooth filled mouth to retrieve a hook.

your in-bed rod holders look pretty cool. any pics of them?

·
Super Moderator
18,569 Posts
I stayed in Corolla. The sharks were pretty small. Like 2 foot and under. But still really fun to catch. I went out on a boat and got a 4 footer. I have pictures somewhere.

The rod holder was actually meant to be for the hitch. But it ended up being too low. But it just so happened to fit great in the bed. And with a ratchet strap held it rock solid.

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
I have been out on the beach with my truck both on Galveston Island and on South Padre Island. Really is fun to drive out there and find a good spot away from the crowds. I grew up in SC and you could not drive on the beaches there...and they were super crowded.

I have not surf fished in many years. May have to give it a try sometime though not sure I would or can afford to buy the right equipment and such for just a one time thing. Interested to see what all you guys use and what works best for knowledge though.

·
Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,909 Posts
I've been wanting to get into surf fishing. we just got rods and reels, we just need to learn it

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Up here in New England, you can get an Oversand pass for Cape Cod. Awesome Striped Bass fishing.
I will tell you for SURE you do not want to risk getting stuck as the tide comes in. If you are doing nothing but sand all day, air your tire down to 20 PSI for better traction.

https://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/orv-equipment-and-tire-requirements.htm

(From page):

Vehicles will be inspected for all required accessory equipment:

Shovel: Heavy-duty shovel equal to a military folding shovel
Towing Device: Any of the following which are at least 14 feet long:
Tow Strap: 1.5"; Rope: 3/4"; Chain 5/16"; Cable 1/4"
Jack: Standard size (e.g., vehicle manufacturer's jack)
Jack Support Board: Wood: 10" x 12" x 1.5" or Plywood: 10" x 12" x 3/4"
Tire Pressure Gauge: Must register to 5 p.s.i. or lower
SCV's and pick-up truck campers must also have a fire extinguisher and permanently mounted holding tanks for gray and black water.
Spare Tire: Must meet tire standards outlined below.
Tires: All 5 tires, including the spare tire, must meet or exceed the standards outlined below. NOTE: Many newer vehicles are being produced with temporary (smaller) spare tires; be sure to carefully, physically check your spare tire size for compliance before applying for an Oversand permit. These standards are minimum acceptable tire standards.

Rim Diameter Width Profile Example
19" 265 50 or > P265 / 50 R19
18" 255 55 or > P255 / 55 R18
17" 245 60 or > P245 / 60 R17
16" 235 65 or > P235 / 66 R16
15" 225 70 or > P225 / 70 R15

Dual-Wheel Standards for R/V's and Pick-Up Campers (including spares):
Self Contained & Pick-Up Campers Tire Section Width Profile Spare Tire Example
mm inches
2 Front Tires 245 9.5 70 or > Matching Spare Front: LT245/70 R16
4 Rear Tires 215 8.0 70 or > Matching Spare Rear: P215/70 R15

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
As for fishing, you don't need much at all.

Big Striped Bass are only out at night. They like the dark. During daylight, they go deep. Only the smaller ones feed close to shore during the day.
Watch for Menhaden (Bunker). Bluefish blitzes can happen any time you see Bunker welled-up into schools. The Bluefish will push them right into the shore and bite anything that is shiny and moves when the blitz is on.

Surf rods are crazy long so you can cast a solid 50+ yards out.
Use 20-30lb braided line.
For chunk bait, sandworms or clams on the bottom, use a "fish finder" rig.

Cast, prop you rod-upright, take up the slack and wait for a strike.
I clamp a little bell on the tip of mine to just wait for a jingle when the bite is on.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh I like this thread idea!!

I'm usually fishing off our boat all summer long in southern NJ, mainly cape May. We do mostly inshore for stripes, fluke, and tog..but on calmer days we venture to the tuna grounds to troll.

When fishing from land, i prefer to hang out at the jetty's that separate either the Cape May inlet, or the smaller jetty's the Cape May point beach has to offer (on the Delaware bay side). I bring a small Abu Garcia bait casting rod and reel combo stringed with 12lb flourocarbon line. My girlfriends grandfather hand makes fluke and tog jigs and buck tails which I mostly use with a gulp. Here's a catch from last summer that was eventually that days dinner...

Surf fishing isn't my favorite bc id rather be on the boat. But light tackle stuff like this is a lot of fun over catching skates and small dogfish on large rods and casting over white water, plus it's edible! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Boat = you go to fish.
Surf = wait for fish come to you.

Boat better.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CT2500HD said:
Boat = you go to fish.
Surf = wait for fish come to you.

Boat better.
agreed. my current boat is a cuddy cabin and a bit older so it has marine grade plywood with glued carpet. there would be no getting the fish smell out. next boat just might be a 26 ft saltwater center console.

a day at the beach is never a bad thing though

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm trying to get down to cape henlopen this weekend. the weather looks decent for the first weekend in a LONG time.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My favorite is people who get a truck out on the sand close to the low tide line, they take a long walk for a while, tide comes in.
People who don't live on saltwater don't know the tide changes 6-7 feet every 6 hours.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the truck did great, the King suspension really soaked up the ruts. I didn't catch anything, but the guy next to me caught a decently sized sting ray

·
Super Moderator
18,569 Posts
Just scored a sweet deal on a Penn battle 2 combo.

I needed a new intermediate rod. I found that Walmarts website has the battle 2 6000 series reel and a Penn 9 foot rod on roll back for $98. That's cheaper than you can normally get the reel for.

Rod is probably meh, but it'll definitely work, especially for the price.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
With saltwater, none of my reels last for more than a few years. I don't spend big money of them at all. Braided line for sure, though.
Just small stripers and porgies up here in Long Island Sound right now.
The bunker move-in towards the fall, I really don't fish much until then.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just did some surf fishing last week in Hilton Head, only got a couple mornings in, but caught a few small ones.
For me it's a reason to get out on the beach. I wake up at 4-5 am depending on the tide and get out there for the sunrise while everyone else is sleeping (including my family, lol). Love it.
Found a 5-6 footer washed up after a storm.

·
Super Moderator
18,569 Posts
Nice. Those are about the size I was getting in obx last year.

I'd love to hook into a 5+ footer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Everyone is going to laugh, but these are the best fishing purchase I've made. Living in Ohio, it's of course a 6-10 hour drive to the beaches. Hauling surf poles isn't exactly the easiest or most convenient thing to do. I bought the first one of these very skeptically about 5 yrs ago, then picked up another and have used them every year since. Work great and couldn't be easier to transport.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
19trax95 said:
Nice. Those are about the size I was getting in obx last year.

I'd love to hook into a 5+ footer.
I'd love to get down to the 4x4 beaches in obx. I'm not crazy about taking the Callaway out, but I could trailer the old 4runner down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 98 Posts