Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a "funny" noise coming from somewhere behind the cab in my '08 Sierra. Until recently, it was only a funny noise and certainly didn't seem serious - it sounded almost like something in the box was rocking or moving (I normally have a lot of tools and a couple of rubbermaid bins under the tonneau cover). Also, I only heard the noise once in a while. However, I had the truck rust-proofed by Krown about two weeks ago and over the last three or four days I've noticed a really loud "creaking" suspension noise every time I hit a bump or go make a tight turn (like into a parking lot). For fairly obvious reasons, it's a lot louder at low speeds than high speeds, although if I listen, I can still hear it when I'm going fairly quickly. I read somewhere about u-bolts coming loose and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of rust-proofing causing that. I'm going to have a look to see if the nuts on the u-bolts are tight tomorrow, but I'm looking for other ideas if anyone has any.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I think there was a TSB on the body mounts. If you have running boards or nerf bars installed if they are not torqued correctly they can also cause a squeak. I had a sound and when i replaced the running boards under warranty i torqued them at the specs which is like 150 foot pounts or something. Basically as tight as humanly possible with a half inch torque wrench.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Thrre have been a couple of threads on this subject. ..... both my wife's 2013 Sierra and my 2013 Silverado did exactly as you're describing after we had our Krown applications done.

Took one to the dealer, turns out getting the rustproofing between the leafs is what causes it. They power sprayed the Sierra and it went away, my Silverado we just let it go and the noise went away after about 8 or 10 days.

Hopefully this is all that's causing your noise!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bounce the bed, if it sounds like leaf packs I solved that issue with a couple cans of spray white lithium grease. Hope you find where it's coming from!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I've taken a number of work trucks to a spring / plow shop in town, so I stopped in today and asked what he thought - he said he would install teflon between the springs for $20. It seems like a quick and cheap fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.