Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2022 Silverado 1500 CC Z71 w/ LM2
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about switching from Valvoline SynPower to Mobil1 5W-30. I was using Pennzoil Platinum but was getting the cold start tick so I wanted to try a different oil to see if it helped quiet the tick.

Since using the Valvoline for about 3 weeks, I've gotten the cold start tick twice and it's been in the 60's. I thought about switching to Mobil 1 to see if it helps but I have read that it's on the thinner side of the 5W-30's and can cause leaks. Is there any truth to that or should I switch with confidence?

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My AFM has been disabled for a while now. I was using PP for a while and started getting the tick so I thought I'd switch to Valvoline since it gets great reviews on BITOG. I've gotten the tick again with Valvoline so I thought I'd give M1 a try.

I am a little hesitant to do that though because the last time I used M1, the truck used oil faster than it did with other oils but that has been years since I used M1.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
I was always a firm believe in running the same oil in the vehicle that its always had which is why I always ran conventional in my 08. But I did start running M1 in my 15 and no consumption issues. My buddy ran m1 in his 09 since he bought it and it never used any until he traded it in with 90k on it. So I don't think there would be an issue with using M1

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I've heard the same but also heard it doesn't really matter, just buy what's cheapest or on sale. I might try M1 and then go through an oil change or two and see what happens.

I won't be able to change my oil for at least a week so I'll see if it does the tick again with the Valvoline.

· Registered
20 GMC AT4, 5.3L, 10-speed
615 Posts
I use M1, at 30k miles with no issues or complaints. But I've used Penn and Valv in other vehicles with similar results. I didn't find much difference tell you the truth, but I've found the M1 seems to be on sale more often for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Changing to M1 won't cause leaks. If changing oils "causes" a leak, you had a problem to start with that maybe crappy oil sludge buildup was just hiding. But you've been using decent oil to start with so that should be a non-issue.

BTW, my 07.5 with 149k will randomly have cold start tick, then it will go sometimes weeks before it does it again. Did that both before and after switching to synthetic. AFM has been off since early this year, oil usage is minimal after turning it off. I wouldn't be surprised if you still get some cold start tick every so often. My Trailblazer with the 4.2L inline engine would randomly have cold start ticking too. Whatever.

· Registered
165 Posts
When you all are saying 'tick' are you meaning a noisy valve train or something else? I run M1 in mine (2011) but it's an oil burner, usually 1qt every 2k. All I really ever hear is a noisy valve train.

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been using Synthetic from the start with most of that time being Pennzoil Platinum. I originally used M1 but it would burn way more than I was comfortable with so I change to the original Pennzoil Ultra but when they did away with that and I couldn't find it anywhere I went with the new Pennzoil Ultra. I still have AFM on when I was running M1 (didn't know about the Range or Intune at the time) so maybe with AFM off it will help.

· Registered
1,116 Posts
DeanH1290 said:
When you all are saying 'tick' are you meaning a noisy valve train or something else? I run M1 in mine (2011) but it's an oil burner, usually 1qt every 2k. All I really ever hear is a noisy valve train.
Lifter tick is from the valve train basically. You can hear it in this video. I just went to youtube and searched for lifter tick and this was one of the first ones, ignore the stupid STP oil gunk stuff he's trying to use.

· Registered
165 Posts
SparkyJJO said:
DeanH1290 said:
Lifter tick is from the valve train basically. You can hear it in this video. I just went to youtube and searched for lifter tick and this was one of the first ones, ignore the stupid STP oil gunk stuff he's trying to use.

I take the louder, more repetitive noise would be the 'tick'? If so, I don't have that yet.

· Administrator, TOTM, How-To Author
9,566 Posts
My '00 5.3 had a tick on cold start every day, hot weather or cold, for about 20 seconds then it went away. Drove that truck for 13 years.
My '13 5.3 (with AFM turned off) has a cold start tick for about half a second about three days per week. It won't do it at all for a week or two then do it for a couple of days.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
I have always ran valvoline syn power 5-w30 in everything I own. Until I bought my 11. When I first put the syn power in it my oil pressure was and still is a lot better with full synthetic than the synthetic blend that came in it when I bought it. But it still had a slight tick. So I switched to m1 full synthetic and tick went away and still has never came back. When we bought the wife's Malibu I went from running valvoline syn power in that to m1. But her car sure didn't like the m1. So I switched back to valvoline syn power in her car. I a firm believer in valvoline, m1 and amsoil. I run amsoil in all my small engines because it's so expensive. Lawn mowers, snow blowers etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.