Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is fairly new to me, had no real issues until hitting 100,000 on the odometer (of course). Had a MAF sensor, which was easy. But, what weirdly seemed to coincide with that is that now my truck is slipping out of gear in 2hi, no really clunking or sounds, a bit of a whirring I'd say. I push it over Auto 4WD while moving, it clunks into gear and drives fine. I'll switch it back to 2hi after a few and good to go for a bit again. Happened the first time on Saturday. Id been driving from Yakima, WA to Olympia, WA (about a 200 mile trip). Check engine light was on for the MAF sensor, but that's it. I hit an AutoZone once I got in town for some MAF cleaner and then ran my truck through an automated car wash, in neutral. That was the only two things out of the ordinary. Sorry to be long winded just covering all my bases.

Anyways, long story short. I've been driving it this week. Its fairly intermittent. My commute is about 30 miles one way and sometimes it'll happen once, sometimes not all at, sometimes a few times. Tonight on my drive home was a rough night maybe 3-4 times so I'm assuming maybe it's getting worse. I also just am not familiar with anything on this truck being that this is the first one I've owned. I don't know if it's ok to drive in Auto 4WD full time for now till I can get this fixed? Roads are fairly dry right now and I'm usually cruising between 40-60mph on my drive. I also don't know how much detrimental damage could be being caused by constantly switching between 2hi and Auto 4.

I did some forum reading and it seems like everything pointing to this encoder motor in the T-Case. Basically I'm just looking for some confirmation and info. Is it an easy enough repair to do on my own? And I ok to drive it the way I am for a while more, I don't have much downtime. Where is the encoder located, can I get to it easy and change with normal tools out of my toolbox? Thanks for any feedback.

Lastly, it's not throwing any CEL, and the truck is an '04 1500, 100,180 miles on it,

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to update this, I ended up getting the 600-910 Dorman transfer case shift motor through my work since we're a dealer for them. Took me a little longer then expected to change, mostly because my garage is tiny, but overall an easy install and solved all my problem. Only thing that bothered me was that I couldn't get the harness back actually secured up to its clip above the tcase, I had to kind of just shove it up there, but I don't think it's going anywhere or rubbing on anything so should be good to go.

Satisfied with it though and I'd say any novice mechanic can do this with some patinence. Took me around 2 1/2 - 3 hours with a lunch/beer break included. Four 15mm bolts to take the skid off, Four 11mm bolts to take the u-joint straps off, drop the driveline out of the way, Three 15mm bolts to take the motor off the tcase, reuse the gasket then reassemble. Took me a few to figure out getting the new motor on the tcase, it didn't want to line up right away, but that was the only real hiccup, and I couldn't find me 11mm wrench for awhile when I was getting to the driveline.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.