Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tailgate got stolen from my truck it is a 2012 gmc 1500 sle. Went to my body shop he got me a tailgate, told him I had the big gmc emblem in the middle. Days went by told me my tailgate is all set he ordered from the dealer and gave my vin, he put the emblem in the center but it was the small lettering told him wasn't it and that is what dealer gave him. He said that my year didn't have big lettering but I made him order it anyways because it doesn't look right. I just want to know is this true I noticed the newer truck have the gmc in the center and some in the corner.

· Registered
885 Posts
You coud always try the hose clamp trick to try and slow them down. What is the point in stealing tail gates anyway? I didnt realise they were that valuable? oh yea criminals dont need a reason to do stupid things.

· Registered
316 Posts
When I was looking at trucks initially. The dealer told me to always keep my tailgate locked. He said I would be more likely to have a tailgate stolen, than whatever was in the bed. The dealership had a problem with tailgates being stolen off the lot before locks became standard.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
Quite a few dealerships in my area have been having issues with tailgates being stolen for years. Got to the point that some started taking the tailgates off and storing them inside somewhere. About 2 years ago there was a bust with people caught steeling tailgates. Take a guess who they were steeling them for. That's right it was the dealerships themselves. With tailgates being damages quite easily and so many trucks having some damage on them. Dealers found they could buy stolen ones for $50 a pop to replace damaged ones on vehicles for sale. Anything to make the vehicle look better on the lot for minimal cost.

· Registered
1,139 Posts

I very highly recommend these. They don't restrict access to opening/closing the tailgate and are very easy to remove if you ever do need to remove the tailgate (probably not often for most people). Ever since getting my tailgate stolen on my first truck, I've run one of these one every truck since.

http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-bed-a ... theft-lock

· Registered
1,139 Posts
ericlw said:
I have seen a few reports of those being easily defeated by theives.
More secure than a hose clamp that can be taken off with a screw driver. For 99% of others, I doubt the thief would even take the time to mess with it before moving onto the next truck over. Deterrence is the key factor.

· How-To Author
2015 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4
4,854 Posts
I had no idea that this was an issue until I joined this forum awhile back. I'm glad that my truck came with a locking gate. Not that it would stop them, just a deterrent. Read some stories after I had joined up. Pretty crappy day to see your tail gate missing.

· Registered
122 Posts
I had one tailgate stolen, turned out to be one of the scrap guys that drive around looking for scrap metal to sell, he was just adding it to his scrap pile for a a few cents more. A tailgate is not worth much as scrap value compared to what it cost to replace on the day before I was leaving for deer hunting.

It was real easy for him, I already had the tailgate removed and leaning against the truck while I was working on cleaning up the hinges, I went in the house to get something and it was gone when I came out. Pretty sure it was the same guy that snagged my radiator while I had it out working on the truck.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
I think you need to start booby trapping your parts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.