Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
You might want to check that it does not have an aftermarket thermostat or that it is not stuck open. That is under normal operating temp. You could also have a gauge not displaying temp correctly. The stepper motors on the dash are known to go out and not read correctly. Hooking up to the OBD2 port and read what temp the computer is reading will be the real way to see if the gauge is off.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Boss LT L84 10L90
180 Posts
The stepper motors on the dash are known to go out and not read correctly. Hooking up to the OBD2 port and read what temp the computer is reading will be the real way to see if the gauge is off.
Bad steppers is a 2003 and up issue, not in 2001.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yeah, hook up through OBD and read temp that way, to compare. My '03 truck reads 210* on dash, but reads 192* thru my diagnostic program. Of course, I have had my cluster apart a few times, so I likely didn't put the little indicator back on exactly right, and that could easily be your issue too. Maybe someone had your cluster apart, which requires carefully pulling the indicators off the stepper motor shafts, and you have to be meticulous about lining them up when taking off and putting back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts