Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's lots of posts cautioning people about drilling in to the transmission hump area because there may be wires/components under the carpet.
I haven't removed the carpet so I am not sure about my truck, but I found this photo online (http://image.trucktrend.com/f/44008594+ ... adding.jpg) showing the area to be relative bare.

I have a 2016 Silverado Double Cab WT 5.3L with a manual transfer case. Anyone know what's under the carpet there?

· Registered
525 Posts
You could use sheet metal screws, the self tapping type staying shallow. If you go in through the sides you could crawl under and feel with your hand to be certain there isn't anything there. Another option is attaching a support bracket to your front seat mounts to secure the radio.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wildchevy said:
I have had upfitters drill into brake lines fuel lines fuel tanks and once I had one drill through the trans case, pay attention fellas.
So are you saying those things are underneath the aforementioned area?

· Registered
525 Posts
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...050656&usg=AFQjCNHs6L8v_vuLuwZFLg07zm7kcJ81Cg

( as taken from a CB mounting site -Right Channel Radios):

"Mounting a CB in Your Pickup"

"All CB radios come with a U-shaped mounting bracket, which opens up a number of different possibilities for mounting.
The most popular place to mount a radio in pickups is on the floor or under the dash between the driver and passenger seat. It's usually fairly easy to mount here - either by securing the mounting bracket to the floor or to the lower dash assembly - and is out of the way."

Attachments

· Registered
6,883 Posts
dufflayer said:
wildchevy said:
I have had upfitters drill into brake lines fuel lines fuel tanks and once I had one drill through the trans case, pay attention fellas.
So are you saying those things are underneath the aforementioned area?
On different vehicles they are, to sum it up drilling a hole in a vehicle is like shooting a weapon, know what is beyond your target and look before pulling the trigger

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Enforcer said:
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...050656&usg=AFQjCNHs6L8v_vuLuwZFLg07zm7kcJ81Cg

( as taken from a CB mounting site -Right Channel Radios):

"Mounting a CB in Your Pickup"

"All CB radios come with a U-shaped mounting bracket, which opens up a number of different possibilities for mounting.
The most popular place to mount a radio in pickups is on the floor or under the dash between the driver and passenger seat. It's usually fairly easy to mount here - either by securing the mounting bracket to the floor or to the lower dash assembly - and is out of the way."
That's exactly what I am going for. Hard to tell if that radio is installed in a GM truck though. I've taken a look at some of our fleet trucks and it is tap screwed right in to the floor. This is on mostly 2500 and 3500 models though...
I spoke with the local radio tech around here and he said he prefers not to install in the floor boards just to mitigate liability. He says 95% of the time it's a sound installation.

Roughneck said:
I think the better location would be right under the dash.
You're right. That's an ideal spot, especially with safety in mind. However, the newer trucks have such complex panels around the lower dash. There aren't any suitably flat surfaces to mount the bracket to. One option is to drill right in to the lower dash mini storage compartment (on trucks with a front bench) but that would either override the usability of this feature, or potentially damage it. The radio's weight would be loaded on the compartment latch.

I have another post asking about drilling in to the transfer case shifter trim. (yes I know I should have combined them in to one post) This is also an option pending the installation provides enough clearance for the shifter to operate properly.

· Registered
205 Posts
Take a razor blade and cut a small slit in the carpet where you want to mount. If there is something underneath, take a little glue and repair the carpet. You may be able to get up under the dash and pull your carpet back enough to see. As someone mentioned earlier, use a short/shallow self-tapping screw for your bracket.

I have a couple of friends with radios and brackets for plow controls mounted there.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I think the bottom line is; If I want to do this right I have to put in a few hours making sure it's going to go smoothly. I just like to do my research before hand :D
I think the plan is to get it in to the shop, pull my driver side seat, and try to pull up enough carpet so that I can see for sure what's underneath. Hopefully it goes back nicely.

Then I will get underneath with a flashlight and try to feel around. This is where I wish I had one of those flexible inspection cameras.

As a side note, the other night I viewed that area (while running) with a thermal imaging camera. This has worked in the past to trace wires in walls. There was no tace of heat under the carpet, but I've been fooled by that thing before :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.