Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my rear shocks. I've been leaning towards the 5100 series, based on the majority of high praise I see for them all over the web. But I'm also a bit concerned the ridewill be too hard, as they are closer to off-road equipment than my current set of Rancho 7000MT's.

I generally don't off-road much, except for camping in the Summer, and the occasional plow in Winter, and mostly stay on paved roads.

If you upgraded from OEM to the 5100 series, how do you like the feel compared to when the OEMs were still good, if you can remember?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
put 5100's on my 99 Silverado and loved the ride. Firm but not harsh, the ride was very controlled, not bouncy. I'll be putting them on my '08 Silverado next summer.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
FWIW my '13 came with Ranch monotubes from the factory. Truck didn't ride bad but always felt bouncy. When I went with 5100 adjustable in front I added 5100s in the rear. Ride is more firm and controlled but not harsh. Strangely enough, it took more effort to compress the Ranchos by hand than the Bilsteins. I think this contributed to the bouncy feeling.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 2011 and went from z71 shocks to bilstein adjustables at the highest setting. Ride is fantastic, I highly recommend them.

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My truck is a 2006, and that is the last year before they had the adjustable 5100's...bummer for me. I looked into that, as that was a big plus, being able to adjust as needed..

The Rancho equivalent is the 9000XL series, but those are almost $20 bucks per shock more.. I figure if the 5100's can improve the ride I have now, even just a little bit, it would be worth it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The 5100's aren't adjustable like the Rancho 9000XL series. The only adjustment on the 5100's is the spring perch settings on the front strut/coil. You have to do this when they are assembled to the spring and only affect the front ride height. You can still put 5100's on an '06, and gain the great ride, they're just not height adjustable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.