Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering spending $5000 on a used 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4, extended cab, with the 5.3 in it. 129k miles on it. Is there anything I should look for? I know the transmission on these things aren't exactly great, do you think I'll end up dumping another $1500 into a rebuild on the tranny right after I buy it? Any advise is appreciated.

· Registered
173 Posts
Assuming you already know the basic normal new/used auto buying tips so here's what I look for on used GM Trucks.
Check the tranny dipstick and pay particular attention to the color and the odor of the fluid.
Take it for a city & highway drive and be sure to listen & feel the shifts in the tranny. Leaks, hard shifts or slipping normally are good indications of an trans issue.
Look the body over really good for rust, the rocker panels, cab corners and rear fenders are the common spots for rusting through on our trucks.
Check your AC/Heat Controls being sure it blows correctly on all settings through the selected defrost, dash vents & floor vents when selected. The fan blower, resistor and actuators are know to crap out. 2000 models have 3 actuators, 2 under the dash that are fairly easy to replace and 1 in the top of the dash that requires dash removal to replace.

Good Luck !!!!

· Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
3,097 Posts
Ask for maintenance records and any info you can get about it's history from owner/dealer. Check little things too, tailgate handle working? power windows or power anything interior all working correctly? If you care about the radio turn it up some, check if all speakers are working inside. Headlights, tail lights, etc.

It would also be nice to check if it has any error codes stored, some can be triggered and saved but not be bad enough to throw the CEL.

Test 4x4 engages properly as well.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I went and checked the truck out, wasn't a total turd but wasn't worth five grand either. Gas gauge didn't work (thanks for the heads up on checking that), ton more rust than what showed in the pictures, near bald tires, and a couple other things.

I'm looking at this one now http://annarbor.craigslist.org/ctd/5853543161.html

Hopefully the bigger price comes with better quality.

· Servicemen
94 Posts
Looks clean and well taken care of. Be sure to check the frame for rust (visible in the wheel well picture). If it's just surface rust, a dose of something like Fluid Film would help preserve it. Good luck.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,109 Posts
Use the bumper damage in negotiating. Make sure that damage is just cosmetic too. Look on the back side of the bumper to make sure everything looks normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.