Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what anyone's thoughts who have experience with this engine think? I see the towing capacity is still supposedly 6700-7000 lbs? It looks to be much cheaper for msrp on a truck than the 5.3 ecotech. I will need to pull our small camper (5000 lbs), but that's about it for towing and the highway mileage would be much better I think.

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
You'll work that little engine to a premature death with towing. It might be a good motor for a smaller truck, (Colorado will have it as the only available gas engine starting in '23, I believe), but not for a full-size truck, especially if you do any towing at all. Plus, resale on a 4-cylinder full-size truck won't be great when it's time to sell/trade. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I tow a 5k lb. trailer with my 5.3 and 9,500 lb towing capacity and feel that's about max. I'd hate to do it with a 2.7 liter 4 banger.

·
Registered
488 Posts
can't speak specifically to the GM 2.7 but the Ford 2.7 ecoboost is a great engine. I am pretty confident my father's 2.7 F150 will outpull my brother's 5.3 Tahoe, although his is the older (2009) version of the 5.3.

I second the concerns about resale but adding boost isn't much different than adding displacement and I see no reason a boosted 2.7 can't handle reasonable usage for a 1500 series truck.

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Ford 2.7 a V6? 50% more cylinders to take the load can make a huge difference plus I would think the 4 would require more boost to obtain the same output. The 2.7 GM would be okay in a 1500 for light duty use, I just wouldn't tow with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
a 300 Ford only has six cylinders, a 302 Ford has 8. I don't know anyone in their right mind that would take a 302 over a 300 for a heavy duty application. And that's not even considering something like the GMC V6, which was a really heavy duty engine.

Boost is just pressure, it doesn't really matter whether you are stuffing air molecules into four holes with 2.7 liters of displacement or 6 holes with 2.7 liters of displacement. You're still filling the same volume. I'm sure there are some second-order engineering factors that change a bit going from a six to a four, but to a first approximation it's not any different.

The difference in the Ford, IMHO, is that it has a fairly long track record so you have something to base your decision on. The GM 2.7 is lesser known quantity.

·
Registered
2021 Sierra 1500
30 Posts
I have a 2019 Silverado with the 2.7 Turbo and 72K miles. This is a company truck and we don't tow with it but I do occasionally load it down with motors and gearboxes. So far it's been a surprise in power and gas mileage. 25.7 average so far. I'd say it's a success for the way we use them. I agree that if you do heavy towing you should choose another engine.

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
The 2.7 is being beefed-up for '22. 420 ft lbs of torque. Much more rigid block. Heavier duty bearings. Stiffer crank, etc.

Reactions: swathdiver

·
Registered
2021 Sierra 1500
30 Posts
I heard that too. My niece and her husband are both engineers at GM . Her husband worked in dyno testing when the 2.7 was being developed. He said they nicknamed it the " small block killer" . LOL !

·
Registered
11 Posts
I heard that too. My niece and her husband are both engineers at GM . Her husband worked in dyno testing when the 2.7 was being developed. He said they nicknamed it the " small block killer" . LOL !
That small block will outlast that souped up 4 banger.

·
Registered
2021 Sierra 1500
30 Posts
Remains to be seen , but hard to argue your point. Small block Chevy engines have been proven beyond any doubt.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,241 Posts
I tow a 5k lb. trailer with my 5.3 and 9,500 lb towing capacity and feel that's about max. I'd hate to do it with a 2.7 liter 4 banger.
I would totally agree that 5,000 pounds is the "sweet spot" for towing with a half-ton. Your payload with the 5.3 is about 1,400 pounds. So you would never tow max because you would be over payload. Now-I expect some testosterone filled comments of guys saying I tow 8,000 pounds and don't even know it's back there.

On topic-I would really like one of the truck blog sites to test the NEW 2.7 with 5,000 pounds behind it. There have been tests of the less powerful 2.7

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there!

I bought my first truck about two weeks ago, and prior to purchase I had tested all of the 1/2 ton trucks. It came down to the Sierra and the F-150. What really sealed the deal was the interior. I won't haul as much as some, but I wanted it as an all around family car, and have potential for other future projects (boat towing). I tested the V8s in the Sierra/Silverado and found my self going to a 2.7T. I know some state to not worry about MPGs when it comes to buying a truck, but I am averaging roughly 21.4 MPG.

So far, I've only towed my 8ft trailer with salt inside of it (bags) and didn't have problems. I couldn't tell you the approximate weight I had it. I will say, the torque on this turbo is stellar.

Reactions: HED and VetterZ06

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wondering what anyone's thoughts who have experience with this engine think? I see the towing capacity is still supposedly 6700-7000 lbs? It looks to be much cheaper for msrp on a truck than the 5.3 ecotech. I will need to pull our small camper (5000 lbs), but that's about it for towing and the highway mileage would be much better I think.
This post is now months past; I own a 2.7L 2020 GMC Elevation. I tow an RV Travel Trailer with a total payload of 4750Lbs. Now 32K miles and 15,800 miles of that is towing. And yet to have a problem with this truck. Plenty of torque through the Smokies and good MPG's while towing in normal conditions. I use a WDH hitch while towing. Now the NE mountains are small in comparison to Central West; Yet these mountains are tight and steep with many 7% grades. This amazing new power plant is a workhorse, the design qualities of a diesel engine. Look it and hear it from the engineers themselves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there!

I bought my first truck about two weeks ago, and prior to purchase I had tested all of the 1/2 ton trucks. It came down to the Sierra and the F-150. What really sealed the deal was the interior. I won't haul as much as some, but I wanted it as an all around family car, and have potential for other future projects (boat towing). I tested the V8s in the Sierra/Silverado and found my self going to a 2.7T. I know some state to not worry about MPGs when it comes to buying a truck, but I am averaging roughly 21.4 MPG.

So far, I've only towed my 8ft trailer with salt inside of it (bags) and didn't have problems. I couldn't tell you the approximate weight I had it. I will say, the torque on this turbo is stellar.
I own a 2.7L 2020 GMC Elevation. I tow an RV Travel Trailer with a total payload of 4750Lbs. Now 32K miles and 15,800 miles of that is towing. And yet to have a problem with this truck. Plenty of torque through the Smokies and good MPG's while towing in normal conditions. I use a WDH hitch while towing. Now the NE mountains are small in comparison to Central West; Yet these mountains are tight and steep with many 7% grades. This amazing new power plant is a workhorse, the design qualities of a diesel engine. Look it and hear it from the engineers themselves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You'll work that little engine to a premature death with towing. It might be a good motor for a smaller truck, (Colorado will have it as the only available gas engine starting in '23, I believe), but not for a full-size truck, especially if you do any towing at all. Plus, resale on a 4-cylinder full-size truck won't be great when it's time to sell/trade. Just my opinion.
This post is now months past; I own a 2.7L 2020 GMC Elevation. I tow an RV Travel Trailer with a total payload of 4750Lbs. Now 32K miles and 15,800 miles of that is towing. I have yet to have a problem with this truck. Plenty of torque through the Smokies and good MPG's while towing in normal conditions. I use a WDH hitch while towing. Now the NE mountains are small in comparison to Central West; Yet these mountains are tight and steep with many 7% grades. This amazing new power plant is a workhorse, the design qualities of a diesel engine. Look it and hear it from the engineers themselves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This post is now months past; I own a 2.7L 2020 GMC Elevation. I tow an RV Travel Trailer with a total payload of 4750Lbs. Now 32K miles and 15,800 miles of that is towing. And yet to have a problem with this truck. Plenty of torque through the Smokies and good MPG's while towing in normal conditions. I use a WDH hitch while towing. Now the NE mountains are small in comparison to Central West; Yet these mountains are tight and steep with many 7% grades. This amazing new power plant is a workhorse, the design qualities of a diesel engine. Look it up and hear it and see it for yourself from the engineers. You mention 5K LBS would be your limit Well I recently towed 6,046lbs 1800 miles. Now my average speed was only 62 mph and mpg's were 8-9. RV trailer from bumper to tongue was 26.1 Ft. and 10.10 feet high. My tow capacity is 6,900lbs and payload 1900 lbs. Hitch weight max 640lbs? not too sure on Hitch weight but I was 490lbs anyway. Guess what did well and went through the Smokies. I delivered an RV to my Son. I did 48mph on a 6% grade and Trans Temp stayed at 205.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2.7L 2020 GMC Elevation. I tow an RV Travel Trailer with a total payload of 4750Lbs. Now 32K miles and 15,800 miles of that is towing. And yet to have a problem with this truck. Plenty of torque through the Smokies and good MPG's while towing in normal conditions. I use a WDH hitch while towing. Now the NE mountains are small in comparison to Central West; Yet these mountains are tight and steep with many 7% grades. This amazing new power plant is a workhorse, the design qualities of a diesel engine. Look it and hear it from the engineers themselves.
Once is plenty.😁

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
They put a 2.7 in a FULL SIZE? 🤦🏼‍♂️ Is this part of GM hitting its C.A.F.E. standards?

My '85 S-10 had a 2.5 and I tow'ed that thing to its grave with an enclosed dirt bike trailer. Can't imagine the 2.7 would do much in a big truck, even if they're slapping in turbos.

Edit: don't mean to offend any 2.7 owners who love their rigs, it was just the shock of hearing a full size get a half engine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts