Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
They put a 2.7 in a FULL SIZE? 🤦🏼‍♂️ Is this part of GM hitting its C.A.F.E. standards?

My '85 S-10 had a 2.5 and I tow'ed that thing to its grave with an enclosed dirt bike trailer. Can't imagine the 2.7 would do much in a big truck, even if they're slapping in turbos.

Edit: don't mean to offend any 2.7 owners who love their rigs, it was just the shock of hearing a full size get a half engine.
Those little 2.7s make as much horsepower and more torque than the 5.3 in my 2009.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I'm all for them if they last. Lets compare those numbers again after 150k miles of towing all things consistent (maintenance, driving style, etc).

·
Premium Member
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
93 Posts
:unsure:
I've never owned a diesel engine truck, but I gotta believe it's the low down big time (torque) that they put out that is the key.
I owned a 2005 Avalanche for about 16 years, with the 5.3 V8. One time we rented a 14 foot dual axle enclosed trailer to haul a couple of full size Harleys across No. Carolina into the mountains around Gatlinburg. Every time I got up to normal speed on the Interstate and the transmission went into high gear, it would very quickly start to loose speed and downshift. Rinse and repeat.

I had no concerns as to the power output of my engine, but it certainly didn't have the torque. My big concern was the transmission. I don't think the trans would have survived many more trips like that one.:oops:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm all for them if they last. Lets compare those numbers again after 150k miles of towing all things consistent (maintenance, driving style, etc).
Lost track of all of the Chevy afm lawsuits. They are not know for reliability. I’ll take a turbo over afm any day of the week. Turbos have been around since 1915.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Lost track of all of the Chevy afm lawsuits. They are not know for reliability. I’ll take a turbo over afm any day of the week. Turbos have been around since 1915.
I have no problem with turbo engines generally, they just seem out of place as tiny ones inside full size trucks. Once they are well established in them I'll no doubt come around. I was impressed as hell with the hp of F**d's ecoboost - I've rented probably 8-10 of those over the years for work - but have never been in a 2.7. Sorry, it's just that number, cracks me up. That's what my feather light S-10 had in it. I know, I know it's not anywhere near the same motor. I'm old I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have no problem with turbo engines generally, they just seem out of place as tiny ones inside full size trucks. Once they are well established in them I'll no doubt come around. I was impressed as hell with the hp of F**d's ecoboost - I've rented probably 8-10 of those over the years for work - but have never been in a 2.7. Sorry, it's just that number, cracks me up. That's what my feather light S-10 had in it. I know, I know it's not anywhere near the same motor. I'm old I guess.
Almost. My 2002 was a 4.3v6 that did relatively well. My wife liked it and wanted her own, but her 2003 was a 2.2. It struggled to push through a moderate head wind.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Almost. My 2002 was a 4.3v6 that did relatively well. My wife liked it and wanted her own, but her 2003 was a 2.2. It struggled to push through a moderate head wind.
LOL. We need a thread on "The Lowest HP Vehicle You've Ever Driven." Mine was a buddy's '63 VW bug I had to borrow last minute for a work delivery up in Central CA. I had to putter that thing thru the Grapevine (ridiculously steep highway) back and forth. I had loaded semi's passing me on the left and I had the pedal to the floor. :oops: Sucked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They put a 2.7 in a FULL SIZE? 🤦🏼‍♂️ Is this part of GM hitting its C.A.F.E. standards?

My '85 S-10 had a 2.5 and I tow'ed that thing to its grave with an enclosed dirt bike trailer. Can't imagine the 2.7 would do much in a big truck, even if they're slapping in turbos.

Edit: don't mean to offend any 2.7 owners who love their rigs, it was just the shock of hearing a full size get a half engine.
Yes, they put a 2.7T in a full-size. Honestly, I love it. I did test drive the 5.3L and found it just a little jumpy. But I'm also coming from a Subaru with a 2.5L 4Cyl. Plus, I have yet to see below 21MPG in the truck (not that MPGs matter too much). I'm sure the next truck I move to (hopefully in a few years) will be a Sierra again with a v8! But by then, we'll have EVs..

Reactions: Smitty27

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Yes, they put a 2.7T in a full-size. Honestly, I love it. I did test drive the 5.3L and found it just a little jumpy. But I'm also coming from a Subaru with a 2.5L 4Cyl. Plus, I have yet to see below 21MPG in the truck (not that MPGs matter too much). I'm sure the next truck I move to (hopefully in a few years) will be a Sierra again with a v8! But by then, we'll have EVs..
Definitely get it. You'll come around to the big guys once you've been in trucks long enough, it's a progression.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts