Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Silverado 1500
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1999 Silverado 1500. Looking at getting a new truck but I am finding out that the new trucks really restrict your ability to use chains. Trucks aren't really trucks anymore I guess. Does anyone have suggestions on what year/ model chevy I can put chains on with out worrying about it?

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,721 Posts
You can put them on any of them. Just need to watch what type of chains and your wheels.

Obviously check to make sure that there's no clearance issues with them when turning

·
Registered
444 Posts
i had previously run the v-bar chains and thought there was no way cables could compare. but a few years ago, i had to run cables for fitment reasons for the first time. north idaho, 50 miles up a forest road at 6000 ft elevation, snow comes in. narrow roads, steep dropoffs, tight curves, 6 inches of snow. i was very, very impressed at how well the cables did. not quite as good as chains but i was not concerned at all about sliding off the road. i had previously done the exact same drive with good all terrains and it was absolutely terrifying.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Properly sized and adjusted tire chains will fit on any tire. If your driving and they are slapping around to much then your not adjusted properly... I have yet to see any truck that does not have enough clearance.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Properly sized and adjusted tire chains will fit on any tire. If your driving and they are slapping around to much then your not adjusted properly... I have yet to see any truck that does not have enough clearance.
i agree in theory. in practice, you wind up lying on the ground on a narrow dirt road with snow on the ground and more coming down, wind howling, trees falling down over the road, wanting to get back in the truck and get the heck out of dodge ... you may find that you do a less than perfect job of tightening your chains. and even if you tighten them perfectly, you drive far enough on a nasty, muddy, snowy, rocky road, doing a lot of sharp turns, they will loosen up.

cables are a lot easier to install, a lot less likely to damage your truck, and give you 80% of the traction you would have with chains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts