Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 275/55/20 and I'm thinking of trading for a 17 and going with a 275/65/17. The diameter of the 20 is 31.9 and the diameter of the 17 is 31.1. Is the diameter diff between the 2 going to make a big diff with my 3.08? Trying to make things better without changing the rear end as that is later down the road. The tires will need to be changed regardless so if I can get an advantage with the tires now, the better but wasn't sure if the diff gained would really make that much diff.

Thanks!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Your not going to notice a difference with that small of a change in diameter. I would keep the 20's unless you are switching over to a better tire (higher payload or thicker ply) but a bigger rim is actually better for towing since it has alot less sidewall flex.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I think I will keep the 20s and go with an 8 ply tire. They only have load rating of 113 in them now. I looked at the bfg ko2 pricing on the 17 and the price wasn't much cheaper on the 17 than the 20. I figured it would be much cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

· Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
Waltheraustin said:
Ok, I think I will keep the 20s and go with an 8 ply tire. They only have load rating of 113 in them now. I looked at the bfg ko2 pricing on the 17 and the price wasn't much cheaper on the 17 than the 20. I figured it would be much cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much weight will you be towing to feel the need for an 8 ply tire? You do realize the tires that are OEM are capable of whatever GM has spec'd the truck capable of.......
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CKNSLS said:
Waltheraustin said:
Ok, I think I will keep the 20s and go with an 8 ply tire. They only have load rating of 113 in them now. I looked at the bfg ko2 pricing on the 17 and the price wasn't much cheaper on the 17 than the 20. I figured it would be much cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much weight will you be towing to feel the need for an 8 ply tire?
About 5800lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

· Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
5,800 pound trailer?

Don't know who you are getting advice from other than this forum, but 8 ply tires are WAY OVERKILL for towing a 5,800 pound travel trailer. You can use what ever tires are on the truck and air them up to near max inflation and you will be fine. Remember-the load rating is for each tire.

I towed a 5,500 pound travel trailer with the OEM Goodyear LS (275/55/20) tires to the East Coast from Utah-and replaced them with an XL tire in New Hampshire simply because it was time-and not anything due to how the tires performed with the payload.

Those 8 ply tires are going to make the truck ride like garbage when you are not towing.
 

· Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Tires have a weight capacity rating as well, if you go to the manufacturer website you can usually look that number up. You may be towing 5800, but your tongue weight is probably going to be less than 800lbs, which isn't much of a strain on the tires themselves.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
silentbravo said:
Tires have a weight capacity rating as well, if you go to the manufacturer website you can usually look that number up. You may be towing 5800, but your tongue weight is probably going to be less than 800lbs, which isn't much of a strain on the tires themselves.
Tounge weight is 578lbs. So do I need wdh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

· Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Tongue weight is 578lbs. So do I need wdh?

Most often a WDH helps when you are towing a trailer weighing half or more of your truck, or you want to tow nearer to your maximum capacity.

WDH will keep your truck from sagging from the weight of the trailer and cargo in the box.

I've never used air bags, but they may be an option with a lighter trailer.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Enforcer said:
Tongue weight is 578lbs. So do I need wdh?

Most often a WDH helps when you are towing a trailer weighing half or more of your truck, or you want to tow nearer to your maximum capacity.

WDH will keep your truck from sagging from the weight of the trailer and cargo in the box.

I've never used air bags, but they may be an option with a lighter trailer.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
apcnc said:
Waltheraustin said:
apcnc said:
Not much difference. It would be like having a 3.16:1 instead of the 3.08 with the same tires.

So what are your turning at 60 MPH 1300 RPM?
Currently I'm at 1600-1700 for 70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure it has a 3.08?
No sir, I'm not. I haven't jacked it up and turn the wheel. By those RPMs, what would be your guess.

It does have the gu4 rpo code but bought it used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top