Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that since most of you guys in here are the true experts, I would ask this question here. I recently installed a 3 inch level/lift kit on my 2012 Silverado 1500 and I'm trying to figure out which tire size and brand to by. I am leaning towards the Trail Grapplers but I hear the are very soft and wear quickly. I do a lot of highway driving (85 miles per day) so I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck. I know there is a lot of choices out there (Toyo, Falken, Dick Cepek, Micky Thompson, Goodyear etc) and I'm curious as to everyone's opinions and experiences. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
I hear lots of good things about the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. Quite a few members on here have them and I'm sure they will chime in. Very aggressive looking tread and also I've heard, very good in snow (not sure if that's an issue for you, definitely not one for me lol).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have some very fresh 275/70R18 BFG All Terrain's (2.5" TGC Level). Very different from the crappy stock Bridgestones. These are supposed to last 50K+ miles and are partially designed for highway use.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
X2 on the Goodyear Duratracs. I've had them on 2 of my trucks and also on my work trucks.

Very grippy on wet or icy/snow roads, not too loud at all and aggressive looking.

I have them in the 285/70/17 flavour currently. ......

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The question is what type of tire are you looking for and what sort of tread life is acceptable to you? You drive 85 miles of highway daily, so I'd assume a M/T tire wouldn't be the best choice. At 85 miles daily that adds up to 425 miles a week, which is 22,000 miles in a year. How long do you expect them to last? My suggestion would be the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 which has shown to be a decent off road tire with pretty long tread life (warrantied 55,000 miles). Another choice I'd look at would be the Toyo Open country ATII with a 65,000 mile tread life warranty I believe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
TooTall999 said:
The question is what type of tire are you looking for and what sort of tread life is acceptable to you? You drive 85 miles of highway daily, so I'd assume a M/T tire wouldn't be the best choice. At 85 miles daily that adds up to 425 miles a week, which is 22,000 miles in a year. How long do you expect them to last? My suggestion would be the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 which has shown to be a decent off road tire with pretty long tread life (warrantied 55,000 miles). Another choice I'd look at would be the Toyo Open country ATII with a 65,000 mile tread life warranty I believe.
^THIS

·
Registered
207 Posts
Also, the BFG All-Terrains are a great starting point for beginners who arent sure what they want out of their tires. They perform well off-road, on-road, and highway. Not too great in mud but thats because they are not mud tires. Best part is, they are extremely affordable and will easily last 50,000 miles as long as your alignment/camber isnt jacked up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 3" body lift on my truck and have the Nitto Trail grapplers 295/70/17. Before that I had the cooper STTs in the same size. Both tires were great, I also do alot of highway driving about 50 miles a day. I have about 23,000 miles on my trail grapplers and i would say they have a bit over half the tread left so I expect to get about 45,000 to 50,000 miles on them before it comes time to replace. For an M/T tire they are surprisingly quiet on the highway as well.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
You might take a look at general grabbers

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
2017 LT Z-71 Crew Cab
566 Posts
Sanc9996 said:
Also, the BFG All-Terrains are a great starting point for beginners who arent sure what they want out of their tires. They perform well off-road, on-road, and highway. Not too great in mud but thats because they are not mud tires. Best part is, they are extremely affordable and will easily last 50,000 miles as long as your alignment/camber isnt jacked up.
Had two sets on the ZR2 I used to have.They are a great tire.They even come with the "snowflake" label for winter driving if that means anything to someone.They were good on snow/slush slick roads.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had my Toyo Open Country M/T for about a year now. Granted I only have 8,000 miles on them but for a M/T tire it out performs all other M/T, showing little to no ware yet. It all depends on what your looking for, the Toyo Open Country A/T II is an awesome tire, I had them on my 3/4 ton but only got about 35,000 miles out of them due to the face it was a 3/4 ton. If you looking for a highway/mud tire spend the extra and get Toyo M/T after owning them I wont buy any thing else! The cheapest I found was treaddeopt.com. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am running 295/65/18 duratracs with a 2" leveling kit. Minor rubbing here and there. They perform very well in all conditions. I really liked the Hankook Dynapro ATM. But i wanted a little more aggressive look and hankook had limited sizes available.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wanted an aggressive look and a long lasting tire. On my old truck I had the BFG A/T (love them). This time I went with ProComp Xtreme MT2 - a 40k mud terrain. Looks mean.
I didn't even consider a MT until I found out about the 40k warranty from my guy at 4WheelParts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.