Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my dad's '94 GMC Sierra 4x4 for a work and hunting truck, but it needs new tires. The truck is stock right now, but I'm looking at getting different rims; maybe a small lift to fit tires, if need be. I'm just unsure what size will fit. The wheel I want is a factory 17" wheel. I'm not getting a mud tire, just need a happy medium size. Here's a pic of the rim I want.

·
Registered
533 Posts
265/70R 17s should fit nicely,
stock size on this truck is probably 245/75/16 which is a little narrower and about 1'' less tall.
I believe 265/75/16 was an option on this year truck, they would be the same height and overall diameter as first tires I mentioned.
Going any taller may result in rubbing( unless you do a lift, like you mentioned) and in my opinion 265/70/17 is a great size
tire/wheel combo, they look good and ride good and are reasonably priced and available in a ton of different brands.
Also going 1'' taller than stock will only throw your speedometer/odometer off by about 3 percent which isn't much.

Good luck with your new truck.

Joe

·
Registered
533 Posts
That sounds about right for a 3'' lift,
285/75/17s should be about 3'' taller than stock, so clearance should be about right.
I am not very knowledgeable about lift kits, but I have heard lots of stories about u-joint problems when the rear axle wasn't
shimmed properly to compensate for the new driveshaft angle, so that's something you should be extra careful with.
I would also think this could potentially be a problem for the front axle cv joints, although I haven't really heard much about
front axle issues or know of anything you could do to compensate anyway.
Just mentioning this for what its worth, if you are considering a lift kit you probably know more about them than I do.

Joe

·
Registered
890 Posts
For the RC 3" Kit, the front CV Joints wont be an issue as they supply differential drop bracket to bring CV'S back to stock angles. Personally I would get the add a leaf system for the rear rather than the blocks, which helps with rear sag since you're adding a leaf over just stock springs with blocks. Rear u joint angles will increase a little, but 2"-3" lift on rear I wouldn't worry too much about, as the angle isn't that much more than stock (4"-5" I'd start to worry).

As for tires, I was running 32-11.50- 17's with over an inch of clearance lock to lock on my stock height '97 K1500 Silverado. A 33" should be more than OK with the 2"-3" lift.

Good luck, and show us some picks when you're done!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks thats what I was hoping for and ya im getting the RC add a leaf kit I should have the truck saturday afternoon as soon as I get some parts in ill post them up for yall to see and thanks again for the input.u guys seem pretty nice here compared to other forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.