Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well due to my mess up this past spring of not checking my tire pressure when the weather got warm, I wore the centers of my tires down. They are at 3/32"-4/32" in the center and a solid 8/32"-9/32" on the outside. We got some rain/snow yesterday and I realized how little traction I had. I could get them to spin by just giving some gas while moving. And taking off with any authority was a no go.

So I want to get some new tires before winter sets in here in PA. I have narrowed my search to 4 tires. The size will be 265/75r16. I thought about going 285/75r16, but I have no need and don't want to level my truck to do so.

Here are my picks, not in any order.

Cooper discoverer at3
Goodyear duratrac
Bfg all terrain ko2
General grabber at2

I have only really prices out the cooper's as of yet and I can get 4 of them for $480 delivered to my door.

So what do you guys think? I use my truck as a daily driver so it sees mostly road use and limited off road. And before anyone says it, yes I know none of these tires are best suited for on road use, but part of it is for looks and the other part is performance when it counts in snow and off road.

· Registered
873 Posts
I have had my Grabber AT2's for 4 years now at 40k on them and half tread left. Only complaint is I don't feel like I get the wet traction that I should. But could also be the way my truck is set up. But have had generals on other trucks and always good. I know a lot of people here run the coopers. General also has a new at3 out now also.

· Registered
22 Posts
I went through a set of ko2's. Did tons of driving with them, hunting trips all mixed driving. They never let me down even through the harsh winter last year with a little more than half thread left. I live in Eastern Canada and there was tons of snow this way last year. Never got a puncture with them. I would have got another set but found a sweet deal on good year ultra grips and a set of of sport edition TK6 rims. You can't go bad with any choice. A lot of people have opinions on what they have driven on. Had mine in 275 70 17. Good luck with narrowing it down.

· Registered
23 Posts
I have run the Grabbers and they performed ok until tying to turn on snow, then they wouldn't bite even add good as my worn out Bridgestone Dueler that came on my truck. I have a set of Cooper ATP'S ( very similar to the AT3) and I'm very happy with them. Had them for a about a year and other then being a little stiffer ride I have no complaints. That could be from going up a size though. I just bought a set of 20" LTZ rims and a new set of Falken ATW3's. A very aggressive AT tire but quiet and handles awesome on the street. From what I'm hearing most of the tire guys are saying it's a better tire them the BFG all terrain. I have owned a few sets of the BFG's ( older style) and they're decent although they run narrow on the tread width and every size I wanted of the re-designed version ebbed up being a 10 ply that I wouldn't want on a 1/2 ton. Hope this helps.

20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well I got prices from my local tire guy. These prices are for 4 tires mounted and balanced.

Cooper at3 $620
Duratrac $800
Grabber at2 $680
All terrain ko2 $820

I can get the cooper's cheaper online and still be less paying him to mount and balance them. The rest are about a wash.

I like the duratrac for their look, but don't think I really need that aggressive of a tread. I also like what I read about the all terrain ko2 but that's getting up there in price. Another option I would consider is a set of nitto terra grappler g2. My father got a set for like the mid $700 range from the tire guy. And those were for 18" wheels so I'm sure my 16" would be a little less. But those I'm not sure how good they'd be in snow.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,659 Posts
My vote would go to the KO2's.. I love my set now, and have always ran the original KO's, never with an issue..

· TOTM
7,799 Posts
I'm really happy with my Cooper AT3s. I have around 5k miles on them, no road noise and have performed well in everything so far. Just waiting on some snow to try them out.

With that list of tires you have I don't think you can go wrong...
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah from my reading and posts on here I am sure all of them would serve me good.

I took a look on amazon and I can get the mastercraft axt for $107 per tire. But I'm a tad leery of buying them off amazon.

20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah that's what I'm thinking on price anyway. Even if I had to buy them twice, I'd still be about the same as a set of duratracs.

I know cooper makes most mastercraft tires, but are these really the same? Or are they kinda like a B grade cooper at3? I could care less about cosmetic stuff, just as long as the internal quality is the same.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
When I bought them the shop said they were basically the same thing. The tread pattern is almost identical. But who knows if he was full of it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
27 Posts
I think I am going to go with the Faulken wildpeak at3w after the end of the year. They look affordable and beefy. They also have the snowflake on it for winter use. Just to throw that out there, I don't know if they have them in the size you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
19trax95 said:
Yeah from my reading and posts on here I am sure all of them would serve me good.

I took a look on amazon and I can get the mastercraft axt for $107 per tire. But I'm a tad leery of buying them off amazon.

I buy tons of stuff on Amazon. Some items are sub'd and come automatically every month and paid for by attached acct I put a set amt. of $ in every month by direct dep.
I have made over 500 purchases with zero issue. I am a Prime member and get 99% Prime items which have 2 day free shipping. Even if your not Prime, and the best price is Amazon I would go for it. There are protections on their site and will take care of you if a problem comes up. They refunded a JL amp I bought last year. 61 days old and it craps out. They have a 60 day window on most items for reasonable refunds. It came from Car Stereo Online thru Amazon and Amazon refunded me and I assume they in turn dealt with the seller. I really like using them as a middle man on these purchases due to some protection.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,659 Posts
FWIW, my wife has Mastercraft on her little Honda, and they are loud as hell, especially on the highway. They grip nicely though, albeit passenger Vs truck tire..

20,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have mastercrafts on the truck now and if it weren't for me messing up, they would still be good. They are the STR which is a even cheaper tire. I have put over 30k on them and if it wasn't for me running too high a pressure for a while they would all still be around 8-9/32". They were halfway decent in snow and wet and great on dry roads. Not real good in mud though or other slick terrain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.