Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 285 75 16 Dixie pack trail country EXP LTS on my 2006 Chevy 2500 hd Silverado now it feels marshmallowy or swishy I don't even know how you want to explain it when I'm going down the interstate and change lanes would anybody know why is the sidewalls too tall for this truck they are e-rated

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
that size tire in an e should be fine on your truck.

what pressure are you running?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most likely that's a pressure issue. Those size tires should be fine, but taller sidewalls will almost always loosen up your handling on the highway regardless of pressure.
I know my 285/70/R17 KO2s feel "swishy" if I'm under 32 PSI with them on the road.

If your handling is poor, you can run a higher pressure (within the limits of your tire specs). You should also "chalk test" them to figure out what pressure gives you a full contact patch, and adjust off of that. Overinflation will wear your center treads out quicker.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I'm running 75 on rear 65 on the front
Wow, those pressures are pretty high.
It may just feel like that, then. Tall sidewalls flex more, so your handling decreases regardless of pressure. Higher pressures generally stiffen it up, though.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wow, those pressures are pretty high.
It may just feel like that, then. Tall sidewalls flex more, so your handling decreases regardless of pressure. Higher pressures generally stiffen it up, though.
Those pressures are normal for a 2500/3500 series truck. That is what I am running in my white 2500 as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those pressures are normal for a 2500/3500 series truck. That is what I am running in my white 2500 as well.
Oh, I used to run 70 psi in my Dynapros that came on the truck when I bought it, but it rode like it was on metal tires. No grip, you felt every bump, and all kinds of noise. Anything under 65 psi made the sidewalls bulge like there was no air in the tire.

My BFGs hold shape at 40 PSI, and they're load range E.
I'm also in a 1500, so I dunno...

If it's still really squishy at 70 psi, though, I'm not really sure what to tell you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I could be way off but I had a similar issue and it was worn ball joints. Felt like the body slid on the frame anytime I made a lane change or turned. It wasn't a major slide and it felt smooth as glass but I suppose it sounds somewhat like the issue you're having. Just a thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts