Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I have been strongly considering buying a lift for my truck and I think I am finally going to do it. I like that RC lifts, but searching the forums I have not seen anyone with the 4.75" lift I was looking at (3.5" suspension, 1.25" body). I was also considering just going big and getting the 7.5" suspension lift but one thing that is kind of holding me back is TIRES. I still have the stock 18" rims and tires on my 2010 1500, and planning this lift out means I will get the lift but have to save up a couple months to buy some rims/tires to fit the lift. I dont want to have my truck look stupid running stock tires and rims with a decent sized lift... What do you guys think? Will it look that bad? Damn money....

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I personally think a 7.5" lift with stock tires would look a little weird. You could just buy the lift and not install it until you can afford tires :D The size lift you choose really depends on what you plan on doing with your truck. The RC 3.5" suspension kit gets great reviews and im sure if you did some research on here you will find that a large number of members are running that kit. The 1.25" body lift is just extra clearance for tires. So im sure the 4.5" combo kit and the 3.5" kit are practically the same... besides the 1.25" obviously.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Point of this is, do it right the first time, if you go big, or stay with the smaller lift...which IMO you'll still need a tune or speedo calibrator for tires if you run 33"ish tires on a 3.5" lift or 4.75" lift ....

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I vote starting with the 3.5" lift and seeing if you want more. I ran mine for about 2 days with stock rims and tires because my rims hadn't came in yet so I didn't have a choice and thought it looked weird.

I'd save and just do lift, rims, and tires all at once. I never recalibrated my speedo though. I just know it's off by about 4mph and just adjust my speed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think im going to go with the advice you guys gave me and start with the 3.5". Might be a stupid question, but why does RC offer a 3.5 with upper control arms and one without? Should you get different control arms with that sized lift? I know im probably going to get the tie rod sleeves...

·
Registered
706 Posts
The upper control arms allow for better angle on knuckles and you do not have to cut bump stops if using new UC arms. Several have run this lift without the UC arms with no issues. But i and many others opted for the UC arm option. If you have the extra $$ i would highly recommend. The HD tie rods are recommended if doing serious off roading or running 35's or bigger.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have to disagree with the people saying go 3.5 fist and see if you like it. If you're having a hard time saving for both the lift and tires then you're like the majority of people who won't have the luxury of buying a 3.5 lift and later down the road go eh, I gonna go with the 7" lift now. Research and get what you want because you'll be stuck with it for a while.

And also your speedo is only off like 3mph at 60mph. It's not crucial to get your speedo re-calibrated right away.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I +1 for the Premium kit that comes with the UCA and stuff. I do not have the lift myself but i have heard from people that they wished they did get the premium so it would save them the trouble of replacing the major components down the road. If youve got enough $$ to buy a lift, tires, and rims then the extra $ for the premium kit shouldn't hurt to much. :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.