Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newb here. Just cranked the torsion bars on my 2014 2500HD. Of course it rides stiffer and pretty harsh. When hitting bumps, pot holes, etc. makes terrible bang and feels like the suspension bottoms out. Funds are tight so I cannot do this the correct way with a full on lift kit. So, for now would longer shocks help ease the "bangs" when hitting pot holes and such? If there is not solution for this, other than new control arms, lift kit etc, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,106 Posts
New shocks would help, but you are likely slamming the arms on the stops, and you can't fix that without new arms or a real lift. Try decranking them a bit, see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You've raised the suspension too far up.
The optimal max height can found by measuring from the EXACT centerline of each front hub straight-up horizontally to the edge of the fender body. 25" is the magic number I have found that gets you an inch of two of extra ride height while keeping your upper ball joints and CV joints within tolerable angles.

But you've got past that- you have no downward suspension travel. 2011+ do not have stops for the upper a-arms, rather they have smaller metal protrusions ("service stops") that are only there to hold up the upper a-arms when the spindles are coming out or upper ball joint is being replaced. The slamming is either hitting the service stops or bottoming-out the shocks, the factory shocks on 2011+ will bottom-out before you hit the service stops.

New shocks are not going to help. Lower the front end to that 25" measurement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts