• 295/55r20 Nitto Trail Grappler

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • 305/55r20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Votes: 23 63.9%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
i went with the duratracs. They seemed to be a better choise for living in PA where we get all weather. The trail grapplers had some bad reviews for winter driving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How is the Duratrac really perform off-road? I realize that the Nitto is probably better in the slimy mud, but does the Goodyear hold it's own? I really am enticed by the winter driving capabilities of the Duratrac for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose that I should disclose that I live in Ohio where the roads can get pricy bad for four months in the winter. I also do some off-road driving but mostly on road buzzing around town. So which of these is best balanced for someone like me?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Look into Cooper Zeons bro...sick ass tire and they are just as good as Goodyears IMO. Nitto's you will only get max of 1 year of wear out of them i had them on my Jeep 50% gone after 7 months.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I feel the same about Nittos lol...They look good though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Im from the Cleveland area so i know the Ohio winters pretty well. :evil: Im buying a set of 285/70/17 Duratracs next week. so thats what my vote is. Ive had other goodyear brands like the Wrangler Silent Armor W/ Kevlar on my jeep and they held up very well in mud and snow. They also stood up to hitting a light pole... only down side to that was i had to replace the entire rear end :oops:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just put Nittos on. They will be getting a full winter workout very shortly. I have a set of Safari TSRs (Duratrac) on one of my shop trucks and they are very good in the snow. I also have a set of Cooper AT3s on my other shop truck and they are good in the snow as well.

I'll be honest... I went with the Nittos on my personal truck because they look like they will eat children.

-Eli

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
+1 to above.. Thanks, I just spit water on my keyboard.. lol

·
Registered
706 Posts
McChevy said:
I suppose that I should disclose that I live in Ohio where the roads can get pricy bad for four months in the winter. I also do some off-road driving but mostly on road buzzing around town. So which of these is best balanced for someone like me?
Again. Duratracs. The nitto look mean as others mentioned but the duratracs look great also (pics do em no justice). The duratracs are also very offroad capable. Probably more capable than my truck is. And for all weather driving its till the duratracs. Go with the NItto if you are only concerned about looks otherwise i would pass em up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have ran both.

The duratracks were slightly better in the mud and a little louder.

The Terragrapplers are seemign to last longer and no cupping - the duratracks started cupping if i didn't rotate right on time.

IMO, running both - doing it all over again, I would go with the Duratracks over the Grapplers this time, Unless you look at hte Trail Grapplers, they are way better:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
The trail grapplers are actually a VERY good tire. Snow traction may not be as good as the duratrac but they will be excellent in most off road conditions. 99% of us are never going to take trucks like these into places that require tires like the Trail grapplers. We do it mostly for looks.

I use to be sort of an amateur rock crawler and learned a lot about off road tires and their construction through this time. The Trail Graps have actually made a name for themselves in the rock crawling and off-road racing scene. They rank right up there with the Toyo MTs, GY MT/R, KM2s (tread design from the Krawler), and a couple from Maxxis. I have owned most of the others on this list and wanted to give the Trail Graps a shot. Even if I never use them to their potential I am still an off-roader at heart. I would love to see some Maxxis Creepy Crawlers on one of your trucks. :)

The Duratrac is a more practical tire for our trucks and what we use them for.

And just for fun..... Here is me during a run in 2007. Rolling on 35*13.50 r15 Toyos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

-Eli

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.