Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Silverado Vortec Max Extended Cab with the Trailer Package. I am looking at buying a 5th wheel toy hauler that's about 10400 lbs so I can take my full dress motorcycle to Arizona. I have been told by 2 dealers, both have seen my truck, that I will be fine hauling this rig. One dealer told me over the phone that this would be too much weight for my truck. What is the opinion of the knowledgeable folk out there? One of the guys who saw my truck said I would be fine, as long as I put 6 ply tires on the rear. I went to the dealer that I have bought tires from before and he said not to just put 6 plys on the rear, but, put them all around or else I would wreck my transfer case. Is this the case?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lincolnshome said:
I have a 2008 Silverado Vortec Max Extended Cab with the Trailer Package. I am looking at buying a 5th wheel toy hauler that's about 10400 lbs so I can take my full dress motorcycle to Arizona. I have been told by 2 dealers, both have seen my truck, that I will be fine hauling this rig. One dealer told me over the phone that this would be too much weight for my truck. What is the opinion of the knowledgeable folk out there? One of the guys who saw my truck said I would be fine, as long as I put 6 ply tires on the rear. I went to the dealer that I have bought tires from before and he said not to just put 6 plys on the rear, but, put them all around or else I would wreck my transfer case. Is this the case?
I would not run 6 ply tires on your truck, at least 8ply as they are built to hold more weight without the heavy tire weight of e rated tires. Your truck is rated at 10500 for conventional towing. I have seen many 5th wheels being pulled by half tons but they do squat the truck. I would recommend air bags in the rear if your pulling this weight all the time. Youve got 4.10 gears which will be great for pulling but it is going to be a pull for the truck. When it comes to 5th wheels I always say its nice to have a 3/4ton for it as the suspension is built for the weight. But as in your case you have the power to pull as long as your smart about pulling it. That is just my opinion on the situation.

·
Registered
761 Posts
6.0l with 4:10s you should be able to tow it. As far as tires go I'd go straight to 10plys.

My current setup is '13 CC 6.2 Max Trailer Package(3:73) with a 38' fifth wheel and last time I put truck and trailer on the scale with a light load I was 17,500lbs. I highly recommended tow mirrors if you ain't got them and either air bags or extended bump stops like I got. My truck pulls my setup no problems, truck and trailer are extremely planted and well mannered. Just be smart about it while your pulling your TT and you'll be fine.

Sent via my VZW Galaxy S3.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
You need to look at the yellow and white sticker on your driver's side door pillar. Above the tire sizes your "payload" will be listed. It will say something as follows-The total weight with passengers and cargo for this vehicle shall not exceed XXXX. Please see that figure. Your pin weight will be 15% of the total trailer weight. Deduct that amount from payload and see what you have left.

Is that amount left enough for passengers, cargo (ice chests, bikes, firewood, etc)?

The payload is a more important figure than the trailer weight itself. Putting heavier tires, springs, helper springs,etc. will not legally increase your payload.

Knowledge here-
http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/guidelines/gvwr.html
Especially here-
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehi ... tand.shtml

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Ever wonder why you see all the pros moving trailers out of Elkart In. using dually's . It's because that much weight on a semi floating axle is a disaster waiting to happen. The guy selling trailers will tell you anything to make a sale, do your self a favor join a RV forum and take the advice of people who have done this before.

·
Registered
761 Posts
CKNSLS said:
You need to look at the yellow and white sticker on your driver's side door pillar. Above the tire sizes your "payload" will be listed. It will say something as follows-The total weight with passengers and cargo for this vehicle shall not exceed XXXX. Please see that figure. Your pin weight will be 15% of the total trailer weight. Deduct that amount from payload and see what you have left.

Is that amount left enough for passengers, cargo (ice chests, bikes, firewood, etc)?

The payload is a more important figure than the trailer weight itself. Putting heavier tires, springs, helper springs,etc. will not legally increase your payload.

Knowledge here-
Especially here-
This isn't always right. GMs sticker in my truck said 17XX but if you research the max trailer package GM says it's 19XX so that sticker isn't always right.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
mag11SGM said:
CKNSLS said:

Knowledge here-
Especially here-
This isn't always right. GMs sticker in my truck said 17XX but if you research the max trailer package GM says it's 19XX so that sticker isn't always right.

The sticker and the information is mandated by Federal law. Every truck is different depending on options. The amount on the door is what you will be held to LEGALLY. You have a hard time proving otherwise. The door sticker is THE GOSPEL FOR THE TRUCK. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter what the website say or any other publication. If you can show a source that says a website trumps the Federal sticker please do so.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Taken from chevys website.....
I'm more inclined to believe the info on their webpage over a universal sticker. That sticker also says my tire size are "X" but you pull the build spec and they really came with something different so it's the law huh:-?
1384138025480.jpg
1384138036333.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
You can't go by what the GM website says, that's like expecting the gas mileage that's advertised on the window sticker.
For instance the sticker that comes inside all travel trailers, 5th wheels etc. can have a very different weight than what the manufacturer's website says the trailer will weigh.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
From Colorado's website-
How do I determine if I am a commercial motor carrier?

There are two things to consider:

1. Determine if you use a vehicle in the course of a business, including farming or ranching.

2. Then, determine the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being used. This information can typically be found on a sticker/silver plate located inside the driver's side door of the vehicle.

As I said-the sticker is the final say for the vehicle from a legal standpoint.

With all due respect Mag-for someone to say the sticker doesn't matter is outright bad information. If you want to use a website to tow right up against YOUR GVWR go right ahead.
Be safe!

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
jimnfor said:
You can't go by what the GM website says, that's like expecting the gas mileage that's advertised on the window sticker.
For instance the sticker that comes inside all travel trailers, 5th wheels etc. can have a very different weight than what the manufacturer's website says the trailer will weigh.
Here's a hypothetical:

I'm a new driver, and I hook up a load that equals what the GM website says I can tow, and I get into an accident. Based on the advice of my lawyer, I say the accident happened because I took the advice of a GM-owned website vs. what was printed on the doorjamb sticker. Pretty certain GM would get royally burned in court if they're advertising that their vehicles can handle totally unsafe loads.

Gas mileage isn't promised, and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the MPG ratings come with a little disclaimer like "your results may vary based on driving style"? But some people actually do listen to those GVWR stickers, and GM can get their pants sued off if they don't have science to back up why they say "yes, you can tow and haul X amount". I really don't have a dog in the fight, since I don't listen to the GVWR ratings ;)... just some food for thought.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.