Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was another topic on it, but my situation is a little different. I have never towed anything before. I have the 17 Silverado 5.3 2wd 3.42 gears. Would I be safe using a uhual car dolly hauling a 99 blazer curb weight of 3800 and a little change one way 30 miles away on the highway? Is there any lighting I have to do to tow like brake lights or is that on the dolly? Just trying to be legal and safe.

·
Administrator
8,147 Posts
You'll be fine. Just take your time and don't go over 60-65 mph. U-Haul trailers/dollies/car haulers have 4-way flat connector for their built-in lights.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,127 Posts
What Gary said...but I'll add one thing....U Haul car haulers use surge brakes, and they really suck. If you apply the brakes too harshly on your tow vehicle, it will feel like the trailer is going to vibrate you to death and your truck is coming apart. Be gentle, leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you. Keep brake use to a minimum, and slowly apply the brakes.

And yes. Tow mode.

Reactions: swathdiver

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Gary said...but I'll add one thing....U Haul car haulers use surge brakes, and they really suck. If you apply the brakes too harshly on your tow vehicle, it will feel like the trailer is going to vibrate you to death and your truck is coming apart. Be gentle, leave plenty of room between you and the car your behind. Keep brake use to a minimum, and slowly apply the brakes.

And yes. Tow mode.
Would it be worth the extra $10 to get the auto transport trailer where all wheels are off of ground?

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,127 Posts
TEN WHOLE DOLLARS??? WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE, FREAKING BILL GATES?
And next time I order a new car, (which will never happen again, because my wife says she's going to bury me in one of the vehicles I have now; little does she know she's going first, LOL!) I'll just forgo the AC, because it's an extra $50, even though I live in Texas.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If the Blazer is 4x4, yes, do the car hauler instead of the tow dolly.
With a 4x4 that has a transfer case with a N position, the transfer case can be put in neutral and it can be flat (dinghy) towed.

With 2wd, the 'driven wheels' must be off the ground or the driveshaft(s) removed to prevent transmission damage.
Running transmission in neutral is not enough.

Is the Blazer a 2wd or a 4wd??

This is from a 2015 GM pickup operators manual, but the blazer will be similar

(there are extra steps for the new pickups with the electric/automatic parking brake!)

Dinghy Towing

Two-Wheel-Drive Vehicles
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

{Caution
If the two-wheel-drive vehicle is towed with all four wheels on the ground, the drivetrain components could be damaged.
The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty.

Two-wheel-drive vehicles should not be towed with all four wheels on the ground.

Four-Wheel-Drive Vehicles

Only dinghy tow four-wheel-drive vehicles with a two-speed transfer case that have an N (Neutral) and a Four-Wheel Drive Low (4 (n) setting.

{Warning
Shifting a four-wheel-drive vehicle's transfer case into N (Neutral) can cause the vehicle to roll even if the transmission is in P (Park). You or others could be injured. Set the parking brake before shifting the transfer case to N (Neutral).

Follow these steps to dinghy tow:

1. Position the vehicle being towed behind the tow vehicle, facing forward and on a level surface.
2. Securely attach the vehicle being towed to the tow vehicle.
3. Apply the parking brake and start the engine.
4. Shift the transfer case to N (Neutral).
See “Shifting into N (Neutral)” under Four-Wheel Drive on page 9-38 for the proper procedure.
Check that the vehicle is in N (Neutral) by shifting the transmission to R (Reverse) and then to D (Drive). There should be no movement of the vehicle while shifting.
5. With the transmission in D (Drive), turn the ignition to ACC/ ACCESSORY.

{Caution
Failure to disconnect the negative battery cable or to have it contact the terminals can cause damage
to the vehicle.

6. Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery and secure the nut and bolt.
Cover the negative battery post with a non-conductive material to prevent any contact with the negative battery terminal.
7. Shift the transmission to P (Park).

{Caution
If the steering column is locked,
vehicle damage may occur.

9. Move the steering wheel to make sure the steering column is unlocked.
10. Release the parking brake.
11. Keep the ignition key in the towed vehicle in ACC/ ACCESSORY to prevent the steering column from locking.

Disconnecting the Towed Vehicle

Before disconnecting the towed vehicle:
1. Park on a level surface.
2. Set the parking brake, shift the transmission to P (Park), and move the ignition key to OFF.
3. Connect the battery.
4. Apply the brake pedal.
5. Start the engine, then shift the transfer case out of N (Neutral) to Two-Wheel Drive High.
See Four-Wheel Drive for directions on shifting out of N (Neutral).
6. Check that the vehicle is in Two-Wheel Drive High by shifting the transmission to R (Reverse) and then to D (Drive). There should be movement of the vehicle while shifting.
7. Shift the transmission to P (Park) and turn off the ignition.
8. Disconnect the vehicle from the tow vehicle.
9. Release the parking brake.
10. Reset any lost presets.

The outside temperature display will default to 32°F but will reset with normal usage.

Dolly Towing

Front Towing (Front Wheels Off the Ground) – Two-Wheel-Drive Vehicles

Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire

{Caution
If a two-wheel-drive vehicle is towed with the rear wheels on the ground, the transmission could be
damaged. The repairs would not be covered by the vehicle warranty. Never tow the vehicle with the rear wheels on the
ground.

Two-wheel-drive vehicles should not be towed with the rear wheels on the ground. Two-wheel-drive transmissions have no provisions for internal lubrication while being towed.

To dolly tow a two-wheel-drive vehicle, the vehicle must be towed with the rear wheels on the dolly.
See “Rear Towing (Rear Wheels Off the Ground)” later in this section.

Front Towing (Front Wheels Off the Ground) – Four-Wheel-Drive Vehicles
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Car Vehicle

To dolly tow a four-wheel-drive vehicle from the front:
1. Attach the dolly to the tow vehicle following the dolly manufacturer's instructions.
2. Drive the front wheels onto the dolly.
3. Shift the transmission to P (Park).
4. Set the parking brake.

{Warning
Shifting a four-wheel-drive vehicle's transfer case intoN (Neutral) can cause the vehicle to roll even if the transmission is in P (Park). You or others could be injured. Set the parking brake before shifting the transfer case to N (Neutral).

5. Use a clamping device designed for towing to ensure that the front wheels are locked into the straight position.
6. Secure the vehicle to the dolly following the manufacturer's instructions.
7. Shift the transfer case to N (Neutral). See “Shifting into N (Neutral)” under Four-Wheel Drive on page 9-38 for the proper procedure.
8. Release the parking brake only after the vehicle being towed is firmly attached to the tow vehicle.
9. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.

Rear Towing (Rear Wheels Off the Ground)

Two-Wheel-Drive Vehicles
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

To dolly tow a two-wheel-drive vehicle from the rear:
1. Drive the rear wheels onto the dolly.
2. Set the parking brake.
See Parking Brake on page 9-48.
3. Put the transmission in P (Park).
4. Secure the vehicle to the dolly following the manufacturer's instructions.
5. Use a clamping device designed for towing to ensure that the front wheels are locked into the straight position.
6. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF

Four-Wheel-Drive Vehicles

{Warning
Shifting a four-wheel-drive vehicle's transfer case into N (Neutral) can cause the vehicle
to roll even if the transmission is in P (Park). You or others could be injured. Set the parking brake
before shifting the transfer case to N (Neutral).

To dolly tow a four-wheel-drive vehicle from the rear:
1. Drive the rear wheels onto the dolly.
2. Set the parking brake. See Parking Brake on page 9-48.
3. Put the transmission in P (Park).
4. Secure the vehicle to the dolly following the manufacturer's instructions.
6. Shift the transfer case to N (Neutral).
See “Shifting into Neutral” under Four-Wheel Drive on page 9-38 for the proper procedure.
7. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your truck is more than capable of stopping the trailer even if the trailer doesn't have brakes but your stopping distance is going to be a little longer and the trailer will push you a little.
I think you're better off with the trailer as you can maneuver better especially if you need to back up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts