Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 V6 with 302k miles on the original drivetrain.
Tow rating 5200lbs, towing ~3500lbs for 300 miles on mostly flat terrain (then driving 300 miles back) - a car on a tow dolly with electrical brakes.

Recent tune-up, fresh fluids all around (oldest are coolant and brake fluid from 2 and 5 years ago respectively)
All the rusted lines under the truck were replaced (brake, transmission, cooler, fuel)
Just installed a trailer brake controller (see here: Wiring a trailer brake controller)
Hellwig helper springs.
Fairly new brakes and tires.

Am I missing something?
Should I bring something with me (beside a spare for the tow dolly)?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add, I have a scangauge for the transmission fluid and coolant temperature.
When should I worry? 220? More/less? The highest I've ever seen was 206F in the middle of the summer (not towing) for the transmission fluid

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,371 Posts
Change the serpentine belt?
Jack and lug wrench for the trailer?

Totally different. Indeed in the Northeast. A 600 mile round trip is just a little more than a half day in Texas!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Are you sure about that 3500 lbs? That's a 500 lb tow dolly, and something like a 30 year old import hatchback. I would try to keep extra weight out of the vehicle if that's an option.

Keep the engine revs higher with the tow/haul button or manually keep it in a lower gear. The consensus seems to be that your trans' weak point is when towing in lower rpms. If you have to slow down, to keep it in a lower gear and higher revs, that's your best option.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Belt was changed a few months ago
I'll use the truck's jack but I'll bring an impact for the lugnuts (hopefully not needed)
Tow dolly is about 500 LBS, the car is a 2014 Corolla (2900LBS according to Wikipedia) and there might be something like 200 lbs of stuff in the car so not much over 3500
I plan to stay around 60mph which means ~1600rpms in 4th gear and ~2500rpms in 3rd (equivalent to 85mph+ in 4th which I did for long periods in the past) so doable without problems.
Any other advice?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Have a plan in place in the event of a breakdown. At that mileage anything can go klunk at any time. It may be just fine too, but is is easier knowing who you are going to call for a tow in advance. I have found engine strain starts increasing drastically over 55, so if you get to 75 it has quadrupled, so the slower you travel, the easier it is on all the moving parts.This is going to be especially important to an automatic transmission with 300,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
313 Posts
Being a northern truck give the hitch and mounting points a good going over.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I feel your concerns as I tow with an old truck as well. I bought a travel trailer a few years ago so the wife and I could take short jaunts for a few days up to the Black Hills in SD or down to the Snowy Range in WY. These are only short trips of less than 175 miles, one way. This weekend, we're doing a 300-mile one-way trip to the Big Horns in WY. I'm a bit anxious, too as I've never gone that far with my travel trailer.

But it sounds like you've taken the proper preparations for this trip. Most important, is to have a plan, Like Walkers said, "At that mileage anything can go klunk at any time."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing happened; long story short I didn't get to tow anything (big)
Well, maybe next time!

Thanks for all the advice anyway!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts