Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
And mine stays in the middle range (I forget- is that right around 200?). It's almost always a tick below the middle mark, but it has poked past it (like when I was trying to get unstuck in the winter :().

However, we've got different axles\transmissions\engines, so is it really apples-apples?

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Towing the trailer today (90F outside temp), the tranny temp stayed at about 190 the whole time, except when I was on the freeway. It would drop to about 160 or 150... is this because of the increased air going through the radiator?

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Mike, your tranny, transfer case, and differentials are full of AMSoil, right? How much did that stuff drop your tranny temps?

I'm in the process of changing out my drivetrain fluids, so I hope to see some improvement once I do all of the major fluids changes.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
I've noticed the highest temps I see are always when I'm backing up my trailer, up a hill, into my garage. The lowest temps are when I'm cruising down the freeway.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
^Could be, but we've got to remember, that most of us are running different tranny\engine setups. It sounds like the 1\2 ton 6-speeds run cooler than the 480LE transmissions.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
I recently changed out my rear diff fluid- it was overfilled, and who knows how long it's been since it was changed last. I put Amsoil in, and now, the trans temps are running 5-10 degrees lower. It's hard to get a good reading with the little stubby trans temp needle, but I can certainly say that it's running cooler. Hooray!

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Sounds about normal... don't worry about it too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts