Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
So I just drove 20+ miles to school this morning. 10 miles doing 80mph. In 35 degree weather. Tranny only got to 135°. That normal? How long does it usually take to get to "normal operating temperature"?

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Sounds about normal... don't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My 2500 trans temp seems to run cold in Winter, towing a utility trailer it barely reaches 120 or 130. In the Summer towing a 30' TT I have seen the temp briefly approach 200 though. That was on the old fluid, now have synthetic and will see what my Summer temps are this year.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I normally only see 145F, that's my max operating temperature no matter how long I drive. (No towing, never done it I thought the 1500's were for grocery getting? :)

During the winter time, I see 131F at best.

I don't understand how you are able to get up to operating temp of 175-190F degrees ?! Could the temp sensor be off? Maybe I should take a reading with a laser gauge just for fun? Where would you do that, take out the dipstick and measure there or maybe on the outside of the transmission pan?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Glad i found this. My trans temp sits about 130*f and 150*f depending how i am driving. when i ran it at the dragstrip it was at about 170*f

·
Registered
2 Posts
So Recently Took my Travel Trailer on a trip Through the Rockies.. my Trans temp. never went over 225
But I felt it was too hot. So I drained and flushed the system. When I got back East. It was definitely burnt not mention that when it shifted there was a little whine. After flush whineing noise went away. Drove it back out west no problems. Flushed it again when I got home it was a little dark.
Not pulling trailer it Runs between 196/205 I do live in the Desert and it's freaking Hot here..
So I bought a kit that Replaced thermostat in trans (yes it has one) Designed not to open till 185.
Now I'm Running in the 175/1 much Happier Truck..

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,657 Posts
Enlighten Me.....I smell BS!

Last summer when it hit 105 ish OAT, towing my 16 foot cargo trailer at about 4000 lbs total,, from San Antonio to Lake Whitney the back way thru Marble Falls and Lampasas, my tranny temp hit 209 on slight uphill grades. T-stat maybe only moved 5 degrees higher than normal. In tow mode all the way.
Someone told me outside air temp plus 100 when towing is good rule of thumb for trannny temp.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've done the "tranny" thermostat delete pill flip since February now. Also running the 194*F Camaro thermostat in my truck now since doing the tranny thermostat delete. Open road cruising, the tranny is always about 50*F over ambient air temps. AKA.......125-145*F. Slow trailer towing and/or stop and go traffic................I'll see 150-160*F....................that extra heat is put into the radiator, and I'll see the engine temp go up a bit according to the gauge.

Need to get a tune to adjust the fan speed % for the engine. But I can maintain temps now because I'm aware of them.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts