Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the manifold/block off to replace the lines with some stainless braided ones from linetogo.com, while Im here I was gonna delete this thermostat but I was wondering if this pipe plug is necessary. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Junk factory stuff gone, if i dont post that these lines are leaking or bad etc u can assume everything went well.

Thermostat deleted with dry seal style pipe plug Aka allen wrench vs hex head using socket. More low profile, wont obstruct flow.

Oil cooler lines deleted also. ERALS plumbing has block off plates for 5.3 L83 engine. Again, if everything goes well with oil cooler dont expect a follow up.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Junk factory stuff gone, if i dont post that these lines are leaking or bad etc u can assume everything went well.

Thermostat deleted with dry seal style pipe plug Aka allen wrench vs hex head using socket. More low profile, wont obstruct flow.

Oil cooler lines deleted also. ERALS plumbing has block off plates for 5.3 L83 engine. Again, if everything goes well with oil cooler dont expect a follow up.
Why block off the oil cooler lines?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do u need an oil cooler? Never had em before...
Good way for the dealer to make money. More weak links in the chain. More diagnostics. More labor hours. Dipshit fratboy kids designing failure into vehicles.
I want nothimg to do with it.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
2,182 Posts
"never had them before"? Have you only had vehicles from the 70's or before?

Engine and transmission oil coolers have been on cars and trucks for a long, long time. And if you actually use your truck for towing, they are even more useful.

But hey, it's just because some dumb engineers wanted to add something to fail, and convinced the bean counters to not just delete them to save costs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They did but they were not hidden behind everything and remove 3hrs worth of stuff to get to it while breaking a bunch of cheap plastic shit along the way.

If that engines requires a oil cooler to do anything its a pos and they dont know what they're doing. I've had 600hp cars with no cooler.

I did replace the 195 thermostat with a 160* last nite also from Lingenfelter Performance to assist in the cooling, I always run colder thermostats, even in my new Vette.

An Oil Cooler does not cool off the oil. It prolongs the life of the oil. Oil gets 20* hotter than the coolant temp, your not gonna change that no matter what you do. Its for people who put 5000+ miles between oil changes, I dont do that no matter what the advertisement on the bottles say. 3k=change.

They make a oil cooler for $3 and charge us $10 for it. Get it? Nothing to do with cost savings or between, its a win win for the manufacture. Top Engineers watch and follow Mercedes Benz and mimic everything they do. New Benz comes out, dont think they dont buy one and tear it all apart to see what they're doing inside.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
That's a crazy reason to remove something like an oil cooler....because you find it hard to work on.

You definitely need to figure out how to become a professor at a top engineering school, so you can learn those engineers up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thats exactly what i do for living.

I delete it because gm cant make a good one. It functions same without it. Weak link in the chain. Known to fail for past 20yrs on gm trucks. Not necessary unless your a suburbanite schmuck with no critical thinking cap or experience with an automotive engine.

Answer me this, why do they make a block off plate for it sold by the dozen daily?

Nothin hard, its just bolts.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
First, you clearly aren't an engineer, and aren't involved with teaching engineering, other than perhaps cleaning or restocking the pop machines on campus.

Second, the oil and transmission cooling systems on gm vehicles don't fail that often. Yes, their lines leak over time, but it is very unusual for them to outright fail.

Third, the percentage of GM vehicles with a oil or transmission block off plate like you installed is "0." + 5 or 6 zeros then "1".

Fourth, IMHO, it's a poor tradeoff, having to increase the frequency of oil changes to avoid having to replace a cooler that effectively doesn't fail.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do you know what a Tool and Die Maker is?
In the manufacturing world known as an "Engineers Hero." Engineers come to us to make something work. They put it on paper, we modify it real world and make it happen. Its a daily thing for me, schooling engineers.

Holley dont make aftermarket parts for "0" uses last I checked.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
They do make stuff that are for very specific use cases. And there are people who use them for dumb-as-a-hammer reasons.

GM bean counters would delete oil coolers and transmission coolers so fast from cars and trucks if they didn't make a significant impact to engine and transmission longevity. F1, NASCAR, basically every car/truck racing series where the engines run for more than a few minutes at a time, they all have oil coolers.

Sure, deleting them won't immediately kill the engine and transmission, but it does shorten the lifespan of the oil, and with that, also increases wear and tear on the engine and transmission.

You choosing to delete them because you are too lazy to replace the oil cooler lines, and instead change your oil more often, is, well, your choice. It's dumb, IMHO.

And I'll bet if you voice your opinion at work to those engineers, they will treat any other idea's you have with a lot more skepticism.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was harder to replace the plate than factory stuff. The bolts used for the plate are allen head vs hex head. Way easier to put a wrench on hex head than get a allen wrench up there, took a long time.

The lines just push in to the radiator, easy.

The lifespan of oil is measured without a oil cooler. Castrol dont make oil cooler specific oil, most cars dont have that.

Racing and driving are not the same lol. Its mostly r and d when they do put auxilary stuff on engines to sell the data to snake oil middle men.

If my engine runs at 180, the oil wont get over 212. Guess what, it runs at 180. Same as an oil cooler without the leaky pos.

Without coolant mixing in my oil one day bc the passage cracked into the coolant now. Next im doing head gasket test and other diagnostics to see if a head gasket failed. Oh wait, how do we know if the oil cooler isnt mixing in the coolant? You cant. Throw the radiator away and see if it fixes it.

Ask this guy instead.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
LOL oil cooler-specific oil. More dumbness.

Millions of vehicles should do without the benefits of oil and transmission coolers because it failed for one guy, and it cost him a bunch of money. You can use this kind of argument to delete anything on the truck, as somewhere, somehow, every part has failed and caused way more damage than expected.

But hey, it works for you.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
3,608 Posts
If the original oil wasn't synthetic then GM added an oil cooler. An example of this is the LT1 where some came with full synthetic Mobil 1 from the factory and others did not. The ones that did not came with an oil cooler. I know that was a long time ago but I am unaware of how many vehicles came full synthetic from the factory.

I just say delete it if you want and just keep changing oil at your current intervals. That is just me though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts