Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed online that my model year can develop pinholes in the transfer case and leak out all the oil.

I will have the trans out to replace with a new one next week. Since its going to be out, I want to be proactive and take steps to prevent a leak later on when the tranny is installed and I am far from home. I have seen a few types of kits online and on youtube. It looks very easy.

Question: Which is the easiest kit and most reliable?

Thank you ahead for your advice.

Steve

· Registered
559 Posts
I'm confused. How long would it take for "all the oil" to leak out thru pinholes? "Far from home" as in transfer unit oil is not available? I was picturing something that would take months, if not years to be an issue.

· Registered
778 Posts
GR2017 said:
I'm confused. How long would it take for "all the oil" to leak out thru pinholes? "Far from home" as in transfer unit oil is not available? I was picturing something that would take months, if not years to be an issue.
He probably has the NVG 246 transfer case. I believe SteveJB is referring to the issue where the pump movement in the transfer case wears a hole in the case. I think the hole is exposed to pump pressure and the fluid is pumped out.

I have never installed the upgrade myself so no help from me SteveJB on how easy it is.

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Rollover,

You got it. I want to make the repair so I don't have to worry about it again. Especially since the case will be out when I have the new tranny put in. I was wondering if there is a kit that is better than others that could get.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.