Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I’m currently having an issue, I’m honestly not sure where its coming from but i have a grinding noise. When i go under the truck it sounds like my transmission, but when i pop the hood it sounds like its coming from the engine bay. I currently do have a leaky output shaft seal. I have to be adding trans fluid every so often. Just recently the grinding started and I’m not sure to where even begin. Would a clogged or bad trans filter cause this? Thank you.

2011 Silverado 1500 z71

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Yes, it's working.

Reactions: Carlosgz71

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps use a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the sound is coming from.
Yea ill have to purchase one. Im just so thrown off. The grinding ramps up a bit only when driving or accelerating but not much. When i open the hood it sounds like the passenger side of the engine that is grinding but i cant pin point.

2011 Silverado 1500 z71

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hello guys I’m currently having an issue, I’m honestly not sure where its coming from but i have a grinding noise.
I sounds like a bad cat, like a piece of the catalyst has broken off. Have also heard torque converter bolts sound like this. You can get at them by removing the inspection cover and putting a wrench on them.

Put the truck up on ramps, take a long extension or a mechanic's stethoscope and stick one end on the suspected area and the other end in your ear and you'll find the source right quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the problem guys, i removed the belt and turned on the truck just for a bit and no grinding noise what so ever so i knew it had to be a pulley or an accessory. I spun the water pump and sure enough its the same noise i was hearing. Is it hard to replace? Or should i just go to the dealer? Thank you.

2011 Silverado 1500 z71

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
A water pump isn't so bad to replace. A dealer will charge you a small fortune. Use the best quality pump you can find and replace the thermostat while you have it apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts