Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a few weeks, (yeah Christmas) I'm getting a tri-fold vinyl bed cover off amazon. If I remember correctly its about 200 bucks, its a "TonnoMax" brand, here's a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/SILVERADO-SIERRA ... 1_6&sr=8-6

(Just copy and paste it into the search bar, You'll see it)

In anycase, was wondering yall's experience with these bad boys.
I know 200 is pretty cheap, but eh times are tough right?

I'm looking forward to finally having it on there, but I had a few questions for those of you who've had one similar

How long did it last you?
How durable was it?
Rain/Water proof?
Pros/Cons?
Would you buy another?

I had an old guy tell me that he's gone through several different types of bed covers on several trucks, including the expensive retractable ones. He said the tri-fold was by far his favorite and worked the best.

I'm really excited about the ease of installation and simple design.
Once I get it on, I'll post pics of it and give a bit of a review/update

Thank You Gents, and as always, Merry CHRISTmas!

· Registered
975 Posts
I have had one for about 5-6 years on my Sierra it is not this brand but i have been happy with it. This one appears to open up all the way to the back glass which mine does not that should be nice. My does not get cleaned too often but when i do give it a good scrubbing i wipe it down afterwards with a vinyl protectent an sealer. It is just now starting to get small pin holes in it. Mine only leaks a little right at the tailgate but i really dont carry anything that could be an issue. If i throw suit cases back there when we travel i wrap them in large garbage bags anyway. Good luck on yours. I got mine used from a guy on this site that bought the wrong one for his truck so i got a great deal on it. Not sure what i will do it it ever needs replaced. Maybe a full topper have not decided yet. Think mine is the Truxedo brand.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Pretty much the same one I bought. Have had it for a year with no issues. It leaked a little around the tailgate but that's to be expected. After owning a hard $800 top on my last truck that always leaked, I'll never spend that much again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
261 Posts
I have a Lund brand roll up. I got a screaming deal on it, and couldn't pass it up. Since I don't haul anything in the bed that requires regular removal of the cover, it works for me. If I was hauling regularly, it would drive me nuts, and probably would have been traded for a tri-fold by now.

Anyway, that was not the point of my post. My point was to suggest 303 Aerospace Protectant. I pull my cover twice a year, (spring & fall) lay it out on the lawn, clean it with soap, water, and a scrub brush, let it dry, and then apply the 303 using the manufacturers directions. Mine bakes in the Utah sun all summer, and deals with the snow, ice, and road salt in the winter. It still looks brand new, and has not noticeably deteriorated at all.

That looks like a pretty nice cover. Good luck with it.

Jeff

· Servicemen
180 Posts
I've got the GMC branded Extang Trifecta tri-fold on mine - love it so far. Keeps the bed 99% dry (just the bits around the tailgate everyone mentions). Easy to pull off when needed as well.
I suspect this brand will be similar, and at that price point you're certainly not out a lot -- even if it doesn't work for you.

· Registered
1,629 Posts
Never used a Tonnomax, but used Tonnopro before and highly recommend them. Great warranty as i broke a latch and they replaced it no questions asked. I had one for about 3 years and looked every bit the same as my coworkers expensive Extang Trifecta.

· Registered
181 Posts
I just got a Gator Tri-Fold .. took it thru the car was today for the 1st time kept my bed dry... Very happy with my purchase 233.00 shipped

· Registered
99 Posts
I have the Undercover Flex and love it. A bit more expensive, and a bit heavier I assume, but I like the hard composite material over the vinyl. I had one of those and came out to find somebody knifed it in the middle of the night just to see what was in my bed. I'll never buy another vinyl cover again.

· Registered
31 Posts
I have the cover the OP is considering. It's been on the truck for over two years and no problems with it. One of the great things about it is that it is very light and easy to remove when you need the full bed space. Takes about two minutes to take it off and about five minutes to re-install it and get the edges squared with the bed. Have had no leakage problems even when using the pressure washer to wash the truck. A decent product for the money.

23,197 Posts
big_dawg74 said:
I have the Undercover Flex and love it. A bit more expensive, and a bit heavier I assume, but I like the hard composite material over the vinyl. I had one of those and came out to find somebody knifed it in the middle of the night just to see what was in my bed. I'll never buy another vinyl cover again.
This is the one I, and a few of my friends had that I was referring to. And had nothing but problems with water leaking between the panels, paint fading on the panels, and paint chipping off the frame. I actually got two warranty replacements from them before I traded my truck. Thus why I switched to the cheap vinyl covers, never happier. But I hope yours continues to work.

· Registered
99 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
This is the one I, and a few of my friends had that I was referring to. And had nothing but problems with water leaking between the panels, paint fading on the panels, and paint chipping off the frame. I actually got two warranty replacements from them before I traded my truck. Thus why I switched to the cheap vinyl covers, never happier. But I hope yours continues to work.
Well, I've had it for a little over a year now, and no paint problems at all. And as far as the leakage goes, well, if I wanted to be 100% sure that the cargo was not going to get wet a little, I would have kept my canopy on instead of switching to a cover. Or drove a van. To me, the security and heavy duty factor were more important than my cargo getting a little wet. As far as the OP is concerned, tonno covers are mostly water resistant, not water-proof. Adjust your expectations accordingly...

23,197 Posts
Being we around the edges is acceptable. Every cover will do that. Leaking in the middle of the panels is not. Thus why they replaced two of mine. You might as well not have a cover of that's the case. My vinyl cover has yet to leak.

· Registered
103 Posts
I had one made by TonnoPro that was a vinyl covered hard truck fold. It was really good and water right. Think my neighbor had the Tonnomax and likes it. Seems like it holds up.

I have the undercover flex now and love it. If you ever looking for a hard folding cover I'd recommend Undercover Flex.

· Super Moderator
04 Silverado ECSB, 4.8, Kenwood, JBL, Powerbass, Sierra wheels, Cherry Bomb muffler.
873 Posts
I have the TonnoPro and have had it going on 3 years now. I bought it used off of Craigslist for 1/2 the price of new (about $125). I have no clue how long the previous owner had it. It's held up real good for me and I like the tri-fold design over the roll up snap covers. Mine is starting to show it's age, but when it finally goes, I'll buy another one of these.

· Registered
975 Posts
I forgot to say in my post I only paid 75 buck for mine from the guy on here so it was well worth it. Thinking I may go with a camper shell when this thing craps out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.