Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
06 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.0L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.0L, within the last two days whenever I'm slowing down or hit the brakes too hard my truck will bog down. It will mostly bog down and then immediately recover I have had it shut off on me before, but it starts right back up without any issues. Bank 2 sensor 2 oxygen sensor was replaced, along with spark plugs and wires, and a thorough cleaning of the throttle body and maf sensor. From what I've seen there's no vac leaks, I sprayed brake cleaner near any hoses, around the intake, and the throttle body. The only thing that comes to mind is to replace the fuel pump, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,910 Posts
Rather than randomly replace parts, why not do some diagnosis, like check what the fuel pressure is, both at idle and when the engine is revved up to say 3k rpm?
Also check the exhaust manifolds for broken off bolts, both to the head and to the y-pipe

And when did you do that work?

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,910 Posts
So it started happening before you did the work you listed in the first post, and before that, you haven't repair the truck for some time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were no other issues to repair, I do regular oil changes. No other issues have popped up, if there were they would have been addressed right away.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you mean by "bog down", the idle drops to where the engine stalls or almost stalls, this is almost always an issue with the TPMS sensors, throttle plate and on older vehicles the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor.

Did you pull the throttle body off and clean the edge of the plate and backside? After time, even though they aren't throwing codes, some are just plumb wore out. Their percent of opening at idle is supposed to be about 3-5%, mine is at 9% and getting long in tooth.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I removed the throttle body and cleaned the backside and used a cleaner safe for the gasket too.
Might just be time for a new one. One of the first things many tuners do is raise the rpms 50-100 so the motor doesn't bog down and stall.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That usually happens when going up hill, accelerating, etc. Maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truck is straight piped, I've been meaning to put a muffler in for the backpressure. Is it possible that It's been running rich and it clogged the cat?

·
Premium Member
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
2,910 Posts
Exhaust changes behind the cats won't matter for what you are describing.

Did you use MAF sensor cleaner for the MAF? It takes a specific cleaner.

Cleaning the drive by wire throttle bodies like you have, you have to be careful if you move the throttle blade because then the TB will have to relearn it's position. It can usually do this over time but it can also be connected with a scan tool and reset.

If you didn't move the blade then it should be fine, but you could disconnect the truck battery for a while and let all of the computer systems reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the correct Maf cleaner, I believe it was CRC Maf cleaner. When the throttle body was removed the battery was disconnected, should I disconnect the battery for a while and try and reset the position?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts