Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew up my trans in March and had a local shop do a rebuild. Cost about 1700 and so far I am not enjoying it. Truck isn't my daily driver and I have owned since 2008. 5.3 4x4 with 243k on engine on it and less than 2k since rebuild.

I am under the assumption they messed up some how. I can't even break the tires loose anymore. Feels slower than it ever has. I don't want to go back to this shop yet because I got a feeling they are just going to mess it up worse.

Another red flag was when I picked it up was leaking coolant from radiator. I replaced radiator 2 months before rebuild but could be coincidence and was under warranty.

Red flag two was it was leaking transmission fluid this may after I returned home from a trip. Took it back to same shop they said it was an output seal and they fixed under warranty. Said it happens sometimes. I thought that was odd.

No codes. I maintain my truck well. Plugs at 200k, air filter is almost new. No mods except a Flowmaster cat back which was on the truck when I bought it.
Where do I start looking? Obviously not going back to this shop. They have good reviews so it definitely caught me off guard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure I can pick out a mechanical or hydraulic problem that a 4l60 can make a vehicle sluggish. I'm guessing it's not slipping or you would have mentioned it. In simple terms, if you're in gear you're in gear, and the motor does the rest. Now if you're in limp mode and stuck in 3rd, that's another issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how does it react when you drop it in manual 1?
When I drop in manual feels torquey and more powerful. I can spin the tires no problem that way.. I was actually going to mention that. Otherwise it drives like a 1980 Buick with a 231 v6 lol.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
422 Posts
Do you have a code reader that can get codes from the TCM? Cheaper ones can't.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Sounds like the valve body is not allowing the trans to go to 1st gear when you come to a stop. You might be starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear. Count your upshifts to verify. My '00 did that once in a while. Never did figure it out. Never caused any problems but was annoying.

Reactions: peewee0413

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like the valve body is not allowing the trans to go to 1st gear when you come to a stop. You might be starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear. Count your upshifts to verify. My '00 did that once in a while. Never did figure it out. Never caused any problems but was annoying.
You had a check engine light though?

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Never had a check engine light.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This is one of the few times where I think the problem has been described quite nicely. All the clues point to a shifting issue. You say it's sluggish when you just drive it in "D", but if you shift manually, you can break the tires loose. That says to me that the engine/trans are working good, but it's not shifting properly.

The shift points are adjustable in the tune. If you have a local tuner, maybe go to him and have him tune the trans. Or maybe take it back to original shop and offer to pay them to tune it. They will likely defend their work and say it's shifting within spec based on the new parts they installed, so be careful not to get into an arguing situation if you go back there.

But I betcha a trans tune would fix you right up. ;)

Oh, and it's pretty impressive that you can still break the tires loose with 243k miles, LOL!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
There is another thread that sounds very similar to yours right now. His air box rubbed a hole on a pulley, so had air getting in after the MAF. Check all your air tubes and hoses.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
😂😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is one of the few times where I think the problem has been described quite nicely. All the clues point to a shifting issue. You say it's sluggish when you just drive it in "D", but if you shift manually, you can break the tires loose. That says to me that the engine/trans are working good, but it's not shifting properly.

The shift points are adjustable in the tune. If you have a local tuner, maybe go to him and have him tune the trans. Or maybe take it back to original shop and offer to pay them to tune it. They will likely defend their work and say it's shifting within spec based on the new parts they installed, so be careful not to get into an arguing situation if you go back there.

But I betcha a trans tune would fix you right up. ;)

Oh, and it's pretty impressive that you can still break the tires loose with 243k miles, LOL!
If I could describe it I would say it's like driving a train with afm. I agree. Feels like something a tuner could easily fix or diagnose. Might go that route.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
If it is an air leak don’t tune it out. Go see Jeff at Guaranteed Transmission. It is over on 19th Ave just south of Peoria in Phoenix. He is pretty sharp and will likely be able to diagnose you problem without having to disassemble.
Definitely follow your air intake from the filter to the throttle body, and check all the connection points to make sure there is no unaccounted for air in the system. I am sure somebody here could diagnose it based on your fuel trims, or O2 readings as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts