Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I got the rings and pistons replaced a couple months ago and guess what! I checked my oil and there wasn't a drop on the dip-stick! So what do I do from here? I can't believe that after all the engine work that was done and it sill uses oil. Please help me!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm lost. Let's say you checked it on Friday and it was fine, you also checked it on Saturday and no oil on the dip stick?, then you filled it up and now it's down a 1/2 qt? I think if it was using that much oil there would be one heck of a smoke show or one heck of an oil slick on the ground. I say go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bulletin No.: 10-06-01-008I

Date: February 19, 2013

Subject: Engine Oil Consumption on Aluminum Block/Iron Block Engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (Install AFM Oil Deflector and Clean Carbon from Cylinder and/or Install Updated Valve Cover)
Models:
2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade Models
2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado 1500, Suburban, Tahoe
2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro
2007-2011 GMC Sierra 1500, Sierra Denali, Yukon Models
2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Built Prior to February 1, 2011 (Updated Valve Cover) and October 2010 (AFM Shield)

Equipped with Any of the Following Engines:

-Aluminum Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs L94, LZ1, L99, LC9, LH6, L76, L92, LFA (Hybrid))

-Iron Block V8 Engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM) (RPOs LMG, LY5)
Attention:
This bulletin does not apply to the Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy equipped with LH6 due to a different design oil pan and AFM pressure relief valve.

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-01-008H (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment about engine oil consumption of vehicles with higher mileage (approximately 48,000 to 64,000 km (30,000 to 40,000 mi) and a service engine soon light being on and/or rough running engine. Verify that the PCV system is functioning properly. If the customer understands that some oil consumption is normal and still feels the consumption level is excessive, more than 1 quart per 2000 to 3000 miles of driving, perform the service indicated in this bulletin. It is no longer necessary to have the customer return multiple times to have the usage verified.

Cause

This condition may be caused by two conditions. Oil pulled through the PCV system or oil spray that is discharged from the AFM pressure relief valve within the crankcase. Under most driving conditions and drive cycles, the discharged oil does not cause a problem. Under certain drive cycles (extended high engine speed operation), in combination with parts at the high end of their tolerance specification, the oil spray quantity may be more than usual, resulting in excessive deposit formation in the piston ring grooves, causing increased oil consumption and cracked or fouled spark plugs (#1 and/or #7). Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 12-06-01-001.

Correction

Aluminum or Cast Iron Block - Oil in Intake Manifold - Install Updated Valve Cover on All Models Built Prior to February 1, 2011

·
Registered
647 Posts
If a dealer did the new rings they don't cut the glaze from the cylinders anymore (too many techs did it improperly) so odds are the rings are unable to seat w/out a new cross-hatch honed in.

This is mainly just an issue when the engine is broken as directed in the owners manual. These engine come pre-filled with M1 synthetic and it is to much protection to allow the rings to seat properly. Best is to drain and fill with a conventional oil when new, run it fairly hard the first 500 miles, drain and fill with a good full syn and you should have no issues.

The window to seat rings properly is short, and in the first 100 miles 90% of the process should be completed, but with babying the engine the first 1000 plus miles rings never seat and within 4-500 miles the cylinder walls have formed a hard glaze that prevents any further seating so excess consumption is an issue for the rest of the engine life. Then the PCV oil ingestion further causes buildup in the ringlands causing the rings to stick and not move freely compounding the issue. Break these engines in correctly and install a good catchcan from day 1 and eliminate having to deal with this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.