Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2018 silverado 1500 4x4 now company provided work truck. My company was bought out and they are moving us to personal vehicles with a car allowance.
$500 a month but taxed down to say $375 net i have to spend a month plus gas card.
I need something reliable. what's the best model year or engine?
i prefer extended or crew cab to keep work material in the back seat. 4x4 for the midwest winters.

The research i did said anything without active fuel management pre 2007 but its hard to find trucks that old now.
Our company bought 6 of these 2018 models and yes we drive them for work but most blew the trans. So i dont plan to buy the truck im in if they offer.
I will find out next week whats wrong with the 4x4 at 135k. I also had trans work done at 74k.
what say the experts?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have an 2018 silverado 1500 4x4 now company provided work truck. My company was bought out and they are moving us to personal vehicles with a car allowance.
$500 a month but taxed down to say $375 net i have to spend a month plus gas card.
I need something reliable. what's the best model year or engine?
i prefer extended or crew cab to keep work material in the back seat. 4x4 for the midwest winters.

The research i did said anything without active fuel management pre 2007 but its hard to find trucks that old now.
Our company bought 6 of these 2018 models and yes we drive them for work but most blew the trans. So i dont plan to buy the truck im in if they offer.
I will find out next week whats wrong with the 4x4 at 135k. I also had trans work done at 74k.
what say the experts?
Transmissions blew for two reasons, first was that the severe service schedule was not likely followed. Meaning, the fluid wasn't changed every 45K miles. Second, thermostat in the 6-speeds kills them by about 100K miles. GM came out with a new one with a lower temperature recently.

You can get a GMT900 with a 6.2 that does not have AFM. I keep tabs on the sales of 2012-2013 and the supply has dried up some but there will be more soon. Have to be willing to travel to get it. We have two. Awesome trucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont specifically recall what was done to the 2018 but i have always serviced it at the chevy dealer. I always told them do what the vehicle requires. I just assume its a lot of miles and not all highway.
lots of stop and go throughout a large city area like Chicagoland which is basically Milwaukee to South Bend if you work in Construction here. I don't recall them ever mentioning the thermostat.

Most recently I brought it into the dealer for a vibration road howl, they said it needed a new wheel hub. I noticed when I got it back it was in 2wd, i always kept it in AUTO.
now when i put it in AUTO or 4HI its very jerky like the wheels are spinning out of sync. The tech said there is something wrong but he needs a full day to drop fluids and take things apart to find out why.

If they come back with a big enough repair bill the new company will say just park it and start driving your own vehicle on the allowance program. That's why I'm trying to get my plan together.

I found a second hand dealer here that has a number of pre 2007 chevy/gmc trucks. some are pretty low miles like 100k.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
Is fuel milage a concern?

If not, most definitely find a gmt800 2500/3500. 6.0 with the 4l80 will run and drive forever. Well into the 300k+ range if taken care of.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
If age is of no concern, I'd do what Eric suggested above. Find a low-mile GMT800 as those will run forever with minimal issues. Personally, I wouldn't count out even the 1500s, though.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
i always kept it in AUTO.
now when i put it in AUTO or 4HI its very jerky like the wheels are spinning out of sync.
Doing that wears out the transfer case early as it is engaged all the time when it is not designed to be. 4HI does not like driving on dry roads, the wheels will certainly protest.

The trouble with the 800s is that they are old. Running one in first line service is going to require a fair amount of regular repairs and maintenance. The 900s are more fuel efficient and of course newer, requiring fewer repairs generally speaking.

People freak out about AFM, myself included when I was new to this. Now, either run it until it breaks or do a delete pro-actively for about a grand if you do the work yourself over a weekend. Or get that glorious 6.2 which does not have AFM and puts a smile on your face every time you press the gas!

Reactions: Jstucker1976

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4
4,005 Posts
I have a similar situation with the company vehicle allowance and fuel card. You don't have certain requirements for your vehicle? I have to have something less than 5 years old and less than 200k miles.

If you have no limitations and just want reliability I would go with any GM800 or a GM900 with the 4.8 or 6.2 to avoid AFM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a similar situation with the company vehicle allowance and fuel card. You don't have certain requirements for your vehicle? I have to have something less than 5 years old and less than 200k miles.

If you have no limitations and just want reliability I would go with any GM800 or a GM900 with the 4.8 or 6.2 to avoid AFM.
No they have not placed any requirements on us. In fact people complained it wasn't enough for a truck and they replied- you can get a car. Are you working for a manufacturer? They probably want to maintain a professional image. I am working for a distributor and they don't seem to mind.
This place has some nice options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I work for a Heavy Equipment distributor. They want us to have a particular type of vehicle since we are representing the company if we go out on site.
Yeah I work for White Cap Construction Supply and we also hit the sites regularly. I am surprised they didn't put those requirements on us.
The previous company who provided the trucks at one point asked us to put the logo on the door and I fought it, so we met in the middle with a magnet sign I used on the tailgate.
They were taking $150 a month out for the personal use of the vehicle then they would tell us but don't use it very much for personal. LOL

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4
4,005 Posts
Wow, that is crazy that they charge you for personal use and ask you not to use it for exactly that. I already owned my truck when I took this position so it worked out well. I have a company fuel card but they don't pay all of the cost, it depends on average MPG and fuel. Mine is a diesel so it gets hit the hardest. I have to pay 15% of my total fuel cost, which gets trued up at the end of the year. I use the fuel card every time though regardless of personal or business use, so that is nice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts