Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently ran into a Cel (check engine light ) p0446 evan vent solenoid issue and a tighten gas cap message. The tighten gas cap only appeared in the morning on way to work when it runs the emission monitors. Well I checked gas cap appeard tight, but replaced with ac delco anyways as truck has 57k. Still appeared tighten gas cap.

So I went on the hunt and did research plus asked the techs at work. When I would try to fill the tank the nozzle would pop every second or two after 10 mi utes and three gallons I said enough and left the station. I got under the truck and found the vent solenoid (under driver seat on frame rail in front of gas tank. I disconnected the harness got my power probe added power to one side and ground to the other listened for it to click no luck swapped the leads incase polarity specific still no luck. The no click indicated it was stuck open which prevents filling the gas tank.

Next day at work I asked if I were to disconnect the vent line from the charcoal cannister could I fill gas tank as no back pressure and then reconnect. Well I did just that and full gas tank Winning. Next I ordered the new evap vent control solenoid assembly on amazon was around $60 is the list is $120. Tonight I unplugged the harness and slid the cannister off the bracket clicked new cannister on bracket. Next hooked up the hard vent line to the charcoal canister and the power harness. Fyi others will say you need a new pig tail harness bs don't believe the hype.

I routed the flexible hose to the back of truck, (tip I figured on my own, twist off the filter put tape on the hose to stay clean and continue. This way makes it easier than fighting the end with filter snout. Continue to the back and up above the gas fill neck. To access the fill neck remove the two torx screws and one push pin. Reassemble the filler neck secure hose to neck with zip tie if needed. Clear check engine light and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I hope this helps someone else if they encounter this. Like anyone else I hate having a check engine light on. Another benefit of having the Billstein 5100's I was able to be on a creeper and roll under the truck without having to put on a lift or jack it up.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Welcher: this seems to be a common problem and nice to see a clear solution to it.

Might I suggest a formal "HOW TO" on this??? Complete with photos. For us rookies!

Also, is it just me, but doesn't it seem like we see a lot more of these P0446 and evap canister, solonoid, vent valve type problems in the late fall/early winter??

· Registered
5,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched the same video before hand too. The difference with his kit it did not have the flexible hose on it. Either way works though. Regarding fall winter the emissions monitor run when the coolant temp is low like 95 F if I recall reading correctly.

Sorry I did not take any pics and already trashed the old one.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
That video works...I just wish the frame wasn't so shaky.. Anyway, I think what some people do is reroute that filter all the way up into the engine compartment to keep it out of the gunk. But, I am not sure if you can just use a piece of heater hose for that too or if you need that specialized hose with the ridges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.