Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Silverado LS: Under the hood there is a hood lamp that, from my information, is supposed to go on as soon as you ope the hood. Mine isn't. I checked the light bulb,, it's still good, not blown. So I am thinking maybe a fuse. Where is this fuse located and how is it marked? Any help is greatfully appreciated.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
I am not sure exactly where the fuse for that light is. Someone will probably post that info soon. However, in the mean time, you could check to see if there is power getting to the light with a circuit tester. A lot of times, the source of the problem is the light receptacle being corroded, broken or has a broken connection.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It is supposed to switch on with a little counterweight inside of it. Unclip it from the hood and open it up and clean up the contact points with some sandpaper and it should work again. That's what got mine working again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok! I"ll try that tonight. What do I need to do if that doesn't fix it? Am I assuming then, this does NOT run on a fuse? Thanks for the insight/teaching moment.. LOVING how well informed all of you men are! Y'all are teaching this ole' gramma alot! LOL

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
I think pretty much every electrical component runs on a fuse although it is not always real evident exactly which fuse. Even a hood light shorting out could cause the entire engine bay to start on fire.
I am not sure exactly how that counterweight switch works, but the switch itself might just be bad. You could try to bypass the switch with a test lead. If it turns the light on, then you know there is a problem with the switch. If the light still doesn't go on, then you know the problem is elsewhere in the circuit such as a fuse, bad connection, crimped or broken wire, etc... If it isn't the bulb or the fuse, then you will need to use a circuit test light to trace the break.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
I'll bet he's traded that truck by now.
But you tried.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts