Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed HID lights on my truck I am very underwhelmed. The light output isn't that bright nor does it seem to travel any further than halogen bulbs. I got 5000k and 35watt kit. I got the 5000k so they wouldn't be too blue and I feel they overly blue. Is that normal for 5000k to be that blue? Bear in mind I have had silverstar halogens as well as the cheap blue halogens so it's not like I'm just not used to the change in color?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put 55w 6000k Highs, Lows, and Fogs in my truck. They are blindingly bright (feel bad for little cars in front of me). A major improvement over the stock halo's. The 6000k is slightly blue when you look at the headlight, but the light emmitted looks like pure white. I'll try to post a pic of what they look like from the drivers seat. I highly recommend doing an HID conversion for anyone that does any kind of night driving.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here are just low beams, no fogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
draggo144 said:
I put 55w 6000k Highs, Lows, and Fogs in my truck. They are blindingly bright (feel bad for little cars in front of me). A major improvement over the stock halo's. The 6000k is slightly blue when you look at the headlight, but the light emmitted looks like pure white. I'll try to post a pic of what they look like from the drivers seat. I highly recommend doing an HID conversion for anyone that does any kind of night driving.
You feel bad for the cars in front of you? This is just the kind of moronic behavior that causes problems! But I guess your truck looks cool so it doesn't matter that you're blinding other drivers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In this state,you will get pulled over.The cop will scrape the inspection sticker off the truck.The truck will be towed.You will get an expensive ticket.It will be fixed before you are back on the road.That is,if you keep your mouth shut.

·
Registered
276 Posts
red16 said:
In this state,you will get pulled over.The cop will scrape the inspection sticker off the truck.The truck will be towed.You will get an expensive ticket.It will be fixed before you are back on the road.That is,if you keep your mouth shut.
I work in law enforcement and this seems a bit far stretched. I have also been to Maine and never had an issue with the law. If you are making them out to be stern officers, I should have had tickets and wasn't even pulled over. So, cut the bull... it is not intimidating anyone! Sorry, but it's the harsh truth.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hot Fuzz said:
red16 said:
I work in law enforcement and this seems a bit far stretched. I have also been to Maine and never had an issue with the law. If you are making them out to be stern officers, I should have had tickets and wasn't even pulled over. So, cut the bull... it is not intimidating anyone! Sorry, but it's the harsh truth.
If the LEO wants he can cite you for not having a DOT approved headlight period. Yes you can be legally stopped and issued a citation and if you are ugly the LEO may prohibit you from driving on a public road with the non DOT lighting. That is a stone cold fact.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, they can pretty much do what they want as long as their is a law prohibiting it. If they were such sticklers and held everyone accountable for every little thing, they wouldn't have a job. You might as well imprison everyone, because somewhere along the line, everyone has broken the law.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow this got real serious real quick. If HID's aren't DOT approved then why do they come stock on vehicles? Isn't that like saying you can't put on a different bumper or modify your engine becuase it isn't how the vehicle came originally?

·
Registered
545 Posts
When the vehicle come with OEM HID, the lens housing is approved in beam pattern and other "standards", putting chinese HID bulbs in a Halogen reflector housing is far from legal. Even when doing halogen/HID projector modification.
AND even putting ebay headlights which I doubt are DOT approved!

Nearly every headlight upgrades are sold for off-road/show use only!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just curious, but how does the beam pattern differ from HID's to Halogens?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Because of the filament position in halogen, versus the gas cartridge in HID. And the HID better light output need better focusing to not blind the oncoming drivers.

If you check carefully the beam pattern of high end vehicles with OEM HID, it's quite different than stock halogen.
The projectors contains the glare better than reflective housings, but not quite like OEM HID projectors.

On my old Mazda 3, I had aftermarket HID in the stock projectors, and the beam pattern was different than the same car but with HID projectors.
Cars with OEM HID also need to have adjustable housings via a in-cab switch. To lower the beam when you put weight in the back. Some are auto-level.

The only HID bulbs that are DOT approved are the ones that comes with the D2S socket and their relatives (D2R - D1S - D1R if my memory is correct). Since only these housings are designed to receive them!

·
Registered
123 Posts
So even if you got an OEM housing for your vehicle it would require the beam adjuster/auto leveling to be DOT approved?

And when I meant I felt bad for the small cars, I meant vehicles like Miatas, S2000s, Corvettes..... vehicles that sit low to begin with. Full size cars and even compact cars are high enough to be out of the beam.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Corvettes, Miatas and other low vehicles are DOT approved. Your HID modification is illegal. You have no grounds to say they're too low, your headlights are illegal. Any argument you try to make otherwise is invalid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I feel bad for little cars in front of me as well with my stock head lights, as I did with my last truck with the stock head lights. Neither truck is lifted or otherwise modified in a way to affect light projection. Saying that an officer in Maine would just pull you over and go through all of that because of HID's is a load. No officer is going to go to that length unless you give them a reason to (i.e being an ass.) Also maybe every BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, and Audi I run into has been modified to have HID's but they are always the most blinding when approaching head on so while they may have been designed to lessen this it still happens.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.