Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Silverado that sits for long periods of time, went to use it the other day and the door won't unlock from either the Key Fob or the door lock. I was able to pop the hood from outside and have checked the battery and it is fully charged. Should next check fuses?

· Registered
20 GMC AT4, 5.3L, 10-speed
615 Posts
If it has GM anti theft there's a good chance it does. Had the same problem with a 2006 H3. Gave me a fit for months. Ended up selling the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
572 Posts
I find it surprising that the doors can't be locked/unlocked unless the vehicle has a battery in it. I know that using the mechanical key will not disarm the security system but very much doubt the mechanical key unlock is no totally mechanical.

So if you remove the vehicle battery for some reason, you can't lock the cap while away?

· Registered
20 GMC AT4, 5.3L, 10-speed
615 Posts
I think the GM pass lock system affects doors with electronic locks, including when trying to use the key. Mine ended up opening after a 10 minute delay and I had to get a Passlock reset. You'll find some bypass techniques online because it can be a finicky, intermittent issue. I'm not an expert with this, just offering what I experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,863 Posts
A lot of misinformation in this thread....

The mechanical lock has nothing to do with the passlock system, you can unlock it with no battery or even if it's just a door without a truck. There is nothing in the door or latch that keeps it locked electronically.

Yes it will disarm the alarm when manually unlocked, assuming the system is in proper working order, there is a switch in the latch that disables the alarm when unlocking with the key. I can arm my truck and it disarms when unlocking with the key on either door.

The OP has a rusty or jammed latch assembly.

· Registered
382 Posts
The spring inside my mechanism that pulls the handle back in the door when you let go of it broke awhile back, so unless you push the handle back into the door, it just sort of sticks out a little after you pull on it. If the handle isn't pushed back in all the way, the door will lock, but it won't unlock until I push the handle in and try again. May be worth checking that out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.