Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1500 LT Trail Boss
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 1500 LT Trail Boss. My truck has wired carplay and I bought the Car Linkit dongle and it works perfect. Actually better than my friend's truck with wireless carplay, which cuts out... (https://www.carlinkitfactory.com/product/new-2-0-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay/) With this device you have to plug it into the usb or usb-c which connects to the carplay / infotainment system. I hid the cable fairly well but would still like to hard wire it. When I pull the USB unit from the dash, there are 3 female ports in the back, 1 rectangular pin port and 2 mini usb female ports (labeled "key a" and "key b". The pin port and one of the mini usb ports (key b) have wired male connections to them, but the extra mini usb port (key b) is not connected. Does anyone know what this can be used for? My hope is that you can use this to add an additional usb port to connect to the car linkit dongle so wires would be hidden behind dash.

Any other suggestions on how to hardwire this? You can connect to the car linkit with either usb or usb-c as it has a port option for both.

Thank you.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Grille
Camera accessory Grey Musical instrument accessory Gadget Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,124 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the pinned connector is the power. The others..one is input and one is output to power an additional port somewhere....at least on my 15 that's the way it's wired...

·
Registered
2021 1500 LT Trail Boss
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that is correct, that is what I am hoping for. If the second mini usb can be output for an additional port, I can use that to run it directly to my wireless carplay adapter. I tried to connect it with a mini usb to usb cord last night; however, I am not sure if the cord works for that function, as it is my go pro charging cord. I know I have to use a specific usb cord for the dongle--not just any cord would work. Thank you for the reply.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,124 Posts
If that is correct, that is what I am hoping for. If the second mini usb can be output for an additional port, I can use that to run it directly to my wireless carplay adapter. I tried to connect it with a mini usb to usb cord last night; however, I am not sure if the cord works for that function, as it is my go pro charging cord. I know I have to use a specific usb cord for the dongle--not just any cord would work. Thank you for the reply.
When I get to my office in about 3 hours, I think I have that cable part number stored in a file. If I do, I'll PM it to you. (I'll let you know either way...)

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I have a 2021 1500 LT Trail Boss. My truck has wired carplay and I bought the Car Linkit dongle and it works perfect. Actually better than my friend's truck with wireless carplay, which cuts out... (https://www.carlinkitfactory.com/product/new-2-0-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay/) With this device you have to plug it into the usb or usb-c which connects to the carplay / infotainment system. I hid the cable fairly well but would still like to hard wire it. When I pull the USB unit from the dash, there are 3 female ports in the back, 1 rectangular pin port and 2 mini usb female ports (labeled "key a" and "key b". The pin port and one of the mini usb ports (key b) have wired male connections to them, but the extra mini usb port (key b) is not connected. Does anyone know what this can be used for? My hope is that you can use this to add an additional usb port to connect to the car linkit dongle so wires would be hidden behind dash.

Any other suggestions on how to hardwire this? You can connect to the car linkit with either usb or usb-c as it has a port option for both.

Thank you.

View attachment 943180 View attachment 943181

·
Banned
1 Posts
Oh I have a say in this question. I bought an adapter with a similar appearance, but not a carlinkit.
Works like a champ. Little lag when you start up but after that it’s golden. The one I bought for my son is still on the way (Black Friday, you know...lol)

·
Registered
2021 1500 LT Trail Boss
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SOLUTION.

All. I found a solution and although still fairly confused on that data wire. What I ended up doing was shaving down the USB / Data port on the front, below the toggle switches, and fitting it behind the dash. I spliced into the pin connector (rectangular 3 wire plug) and connected a second one I purchased from GM. I connected the second pin connector to a charging only USB port (pulled from back of my console - GM 13525889) and plugged that into the original USB / Data port hole. The wireless carplay adapter is plugged into the USB / Data port behind the dash so no wires are seen. The charging only port is charging fine and the carplay links up with no issues.

What still gets me is that I could not find a way to extend the data cable so it could be run to the console port. I tried every type of wire and cable I could find. I tried using the third mini USB plug / cable from gm and it would not work. As it is carplay, I even tried splicing / extending with several different apple charging cables and they would not work. Simply, that factory cable that connects to the data port on the USB / Data plug is the only type of wire that seems to work and it does not appear it can be purchased at this time. Still bugging me but I got done what I needed to do and everything is working fine.

As for adding the center console charging port, this was simple. I purchased 2 USB ports (GM 13525889 - will show it des not fit 2021 Chevy but it does as this is the same part I pulled from the back console to use for the dash). I spliced the 3 wire pin connector, added a second pin connector, ran it at the lower driver side of the console and up to the port hole inside of the console. Both USB charging units are working fine.

Again, got it done but why you cannot extend the data, mini USB wire is still bugging me...

I also added the wireless charger to the armrest. Works great and still charges my Iphone 12 pro max but it does not fit all the way in even without a case. I have a very thin case but it still gets in enough to be secure and charge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.