Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first truck I've had with a Tow mode so I'm not exactly sure what it does and if it's worth using. The manual seems vague and only leads to more questions. I've always heard that using the Cruise Control while towing could cause excessive shifting and extra wear and tear on the transmission. Any thought or experiences?

· Registered
861 Posts
When I tow I don't use cruise control, But I also don't drive more than a hour or so. The tow haul mode doesn't do anything more than change shift points. So it shifts at a higher RPM giving the vehicle more forward momentum to catch up on the next gear. So you don't shift and then be stuck at 1000RPM with the foot to the floor.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Yes, you can use cruise when towing either with the Tow/Haul mode on or off. But, I don't suggest it. You will likely find the truck shifting a lot more often and more severely than it would if you controlled the throttle yourself. For instance, if you are cruising along and come to a steep hill, the CC will do everything it can to maintain speed to include downshifting 2-3 gears which wouldn't be good when the truck is going 65mph.

· Registered
30 Posts
The cruise control is integrated to work with the tow mode, and everything else on the truck. This summer I went from one side of the country and back, and I used the cruise for everything but going up some of the steeper mountain grades. I was towing about 9.5K lbs, and never saw any excess shifting. Matter of fact with the diesel, going downhill, when the engine braking wasn't enough, the cruise control triggered the exhaust brake. Usually I have to tap on the brake for it to engage that early. Keep the truck within about 4 mph.

For whatever reason, my truck likes to hold a higher gear even in the tow mode going up steep hills. I will either go into manual, or just mash the pedal if it isn't that long of a hill to get it to downshift. That is going to happen cruise or not.

Mark

· Registered
1,173 Posts
You have a diesel. The operating characteristics are not the same. 6.0's are gonna need Rev's on certain hill climbs that the Dmax wont. And on steepish hill climbs, we are gonna slow down a little while you wont. Comes with the territory. So while you can use cruise just fine, on anything but flat ground it probably is a bad idea with a gasser while towing.

· Registered
95 Posts
bootstrap said:
You have a diesel. The operating characteristics are not the same. 6.0's are gonna need Rev's on certain hill climbs that the Dmax wont. And on steepish hill climbs, we are gonna slow down a little while you wont. Comes with the territory. So while you can use cruise just fine, on anything but flat ground it probably is a bad idea with a gasser while towing.
I'll chime in on this, as using CC and tow-haul is perfectly fine in both a diesel and gas-pot.

My '14 1500 with the 5.3L I used CC all the time, and had no issues or problems while towing my TT that weighs 8,500lb dry. I put on well over 15,000kms towing like that, I'd still have the 1500 if I didn't need a heavier truck for my TT. I also use my truck for work, when I traded my 1500 in she only had 28,000km on the odometer. I had a few issues with the truck, but it wasn't towing related.

The BCM, ECM, and TCM all work in rhythm with one another and talk with one another. If you're getting a hard shift, it generally means that a clutch is being applied exactly when a clutch has been released and you're getting a slamming feel. That is bad for your transmission, towing or not. A smooth seamless shift is when a clutch is applied and the clutch that is being released is still in use until the new clutch is 100% applied.

If your truck does that, CC and TH mode will not damage the transmission.

But, if you're worried. Don't do it.

· Registered
316 Posts
I use Cruise while towing all the time. It can be used the same as if your not towing. It's all common sense. If you are on open highway doing a constant speed, the truck doesn't need to shift.

If you are in a hilly area, heavy traffic, or on a back road, cruise control shouldn't be used, Towing or not.

· Registered
207 Posts
Just use both and dont worry about it, its brand new. If it fails its under warranty. I tow using TH mode in M5 with cruise all the time. My dad tows with an 03 suburban with TH and in third gear with cruise, neither of us has issues. Keeping it out of high gear puts less stress on the trans, and has no ill effects on the motor. LS motors like to rev.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.