Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, back on this forum as I just bought a 2000 Sierra SL with the 4.8. Anyways, the truck has a small steering issue. Not too bad. The truck wants to veer to the right, unless I hold it to the left. The steering wheel wants to center to the right, but it still pulls to that side. After going over the front end, there was not much play in the idler or pitman. Maybe the little is just enough to cause it. Anyways, I noticed the u-bracket holding the sway bar bushing broke and there was no bushing at all on the right side. Could this cause that issue with the weight movement not being controlled? Surprisingly, the bar isn't clunking without the bushing..

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought the truck last weekend. It's got two brand new tires on the back, needs 2 fronts. Obviously I'll get the same tires as the back and an alignment done. Best bet is probably to do that, and see what happens? I know there's a new tie rod end on the left side (well, it's in the shape a new one). Maybe they threw that on and never got an alignment :roll:

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the truck registered and took it for a longer drive, at a little higher speed. Definitely just an alignment needed. It wasn't as bad as I first thought I felt it to be. The LF is toed in a lot more than it should be, while the RF is straight..

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alignment tech found that my upper balljoint was junk; I should've known to check that.. and he mentioned my inner/outer tie rod was junk too on the right side. Couldn't do an alignment until that was fixed. Got upper control arm, and tie rods in place, going back tonight. When I checked last night for an improvement, to make sure all the joints were tight, I noticed flex in my idler. The joints weren't loose on it, it just had some flex in it (if that's that right verbiage), it would go back to center if I let go. Drove it this morning, no more pull to the right.. still needs camber adjusted tonight after work, and my steering wheel isn't centered going straight.. Any ideas?

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the alignment. Everything good so far. Little pull to the right; it's goes straight without issue, but gonna have to check tire pressures before I point to the idler and/or bring it back and have it fixed..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.