Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2006 Vortec Max 6.0 and I had the front right differential replaced. Ever since then when I'm going down the highway it sounds like a high pitch metal rubbing and now when I approach 70 miles per hour it feels like there is some what of a grinding but it's just a vibration. The guys at the shop who did my front right differential said that the metal noise could be my rear rod and pinion gear.

Has anyone else had experience with this or troubles or have any kind of idea what this may be?

· Member Extraordinaire, SilveradoSierra Guru
13,210 Posts
I assume you mean you had the half shaft replaced. Check the brake backing dust plate to make sure it is not rubbing the rotor. They can get bent easily during repair work.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, drive shaft not replaced, but the tabs have already been determined NOT to be it. Is there ANY WAY that it could be the rear pinion gear causing a vibration in the axel that travels down. the driveshaft?

· Registered
559 Posts
Tituscop said:
......Ever since then when I'm going down the highway it sounds like a high pitch metal rubbing and now when I approach 70 miles per hour it feels like there is some what of a grinding but it's just a vibration. The guys at the shop who did my front right differential said that the metal noise could be my rear rod and pinion gear.....
How does he explain that the noise only appeared after he worked on it? Common sense tells me that he did something wrong or damaged something.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
If they say that now they want to replace the LEFT differential, you should run away.
I agree, you need to find out exactly what they replaced. And if the problem started right after they did work, then I would leave it up to them to correct.

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Tituscop said:
they said the right front diff needed to be replaced, so 2000 later and I guess it is. Your making me feel like ive been ripped off and taken all of a sudden.
I'd say your being taken advantage of. No such thing as a right front diff. Front end drive components consist of the front drive shaft, differential, CV axles and the hubs.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,803 Posts
Find a new shop. You got half-shafted

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Well, hopefully they do a complete, complimentatry blinker fluid change

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.