Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got another GMC and it drives differently than my previous one and I thought I got the same rear end in my new one as i had in my previous one but now Im not sure.

Does anyone know if theres a way to use my old trucks vin to find out the type of rear end it had?

vin - 3GTP2VE75CG197260

·
Registered
102 Posts
I believe you need the RPO codes. Should be in the glovebox. It should be GT_. (The _ should be a number) For example, mine is GT5 aka 4.10 rear gear ratio.

(Only know this due to help from members on here and spending over an hour today going through and decoding all my RPO codes.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys for all the help. WildChevy got me the build sheet for both my new and old trucks and it appears that both have a 3.42 rear end.. so i guess ill have to start looking somewhere else to find out why they drive so differently.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
same engine.. same trans.. the tires are 18's and the old one was 20's but its the hesitation in the throttle and it seems like its a gear off when going up hills. some times when i drive up a hill at say 15 mph i have to bury the gas to get it to downshift and go up the hill. where as i use to just drive up with out a problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any chance you need an ECM update?

I know when I replaced the trans in my wifes Acadia a few weeks ago, they had to program the ECM and TCM and boy does it drive different.

Doesn't hurt to ask your service advisor @ the dealer.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If you un-hook the battery and touch the posi and negative cables together, you don't have to wait a couple hours, it resets everything. just make sure that both cables are detached from the battery before you touch them together. I do this on my Jeep when 4 wheeling and the steep angles mess with the ECM.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
humm worth a try... Im guessing once the ECM is reset it will relearn my driving patterns and hopefully give me a better drive experience, at least until i get $400 out of the couch cushions or my long lost rich uncle dies to pay Lew for a tuner and a tune.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I tried to run your vin but there is no build sheet for your truck, that happens sometimes with older models. I t did show 3 open safety recalls for it.

Product Safety Recall N950079 95079 SEAT BELT BUCKLE UNLATCH 12/01/1995 Open
Product Safety Recall N950075 95075 FRONT SEAT BACK RECLINER ATTACHMENT 12/01/1995 Open
Product Safety Recall N980065 98065 BRAKE SWITCH WIRING POLARITY 03/06/1999 Open

·
Registered
1 Posts
MadHatter said:
I just got another GMC and it drives differently than my previous one and I thought I got the same rear end in my new one as i had in my previous one but now Im not sure.

Does anyone know if theres a way to use my old trucks vin to find out the type of rear end it had?

vin - 3GTP2VE75CG197260
MadHatter... are you still on these forums? I see your old truck (3GTP2VE75CG197260) is for sale locally and I wanted to ask you a few questions. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.