Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
You could try this VIN lookup site, it should show you the gear ratio that the truck came with from the factory. Not sure if it will help clarify or confuse things more, but something to check.

Other thing I could suggest is comparing your RPMS at a given speed to that of another truck with same tranny, tires and motor and see if yours are the same as theirs. If they have a 3.42 and you turn lower RPMS cruising at 60mph than they do, it is likely you have 3.08 gears.

· Registered
122 Posts
That chevy forum link has so many things wrong on my truck there is no way I would trust anything on there as the final word.
It does not list what is on the truck but more of a general description and a list of options that were available.
It also says I have the 3.08 gears, but when I counted teeth at last lube change I have the 3.42 gears, which agrees with the RPO codes.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
It actually mentions all of the gearsets available for your model, not necessarily the one you actually have. It showed all three on mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.