Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GM parts place won't sell me parts with the matching VIN, another place can't look up parts since it wasn't included as part of truck.

Once an option is added to the vehicle after purchase (All factory parts), is there a way to update the GM VIN database?

I need a VIN # to appease that GM service gods. Does anyone have a VIN for a 2004 Chevy Silverado regular cab with all options maxed out especially the auxiliary battery? Better yet, is there a way to generate or find a custom VIN? (No luck on cars.com)

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
No it is not possible.
Look up the parts online, you'll find them there.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,369 Posts
Don't mess with a VIN.

The vehicle identification number (VIN) is the identifying code for a SPECIFIC automobile. The VIN serves as the car's fingerprint, as no two vehicles in operation have the same VIN. A VIN is composed of 17 characters (digits and capital letters) that act as a unique identifier for the vehicle. A VIN displays the car's unique features, specifications and manufacturer. The VIN can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
The answer is no. And you need to search better. Why won't the dealer sell you what you want? You don't have to go to your own local dealer. If you know the part number, there are plenty of dealers and other places to buy it from.

And as for altering a VIN...

Federal law says no-no...18 U.S. Code § 511 - Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers - You can get fined or jailed for 5 years, or both.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Local dealers cost more, some online dealers won't warranty parts or accept returns without an associated VIN. Hence the question on VIN lookup/generation.

I asked about updating the VIN to reflect RPO code updates on features. Not actually altering the VIN #.

In some forums, I saw dealers will call GM tech support to update the RPO codes associated with the VIN. This was in the case of an engine upgrade. I wanted to confirm if this was possible.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Z15 said:
Don't mess with a VIN.

The vehicle identification number (VIN) is the identifying code for a SPECIFIC automobile. The VIN serves as the car's fingerprint, as no two vehicles in operation have the same VIN. A VIN is composed of 17 characters (digits and capital letters) that act as a unique identifier for the vehicle. A VIN displays the car's unique features, specifications and manufacturer. The VIN can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage.
This is exactly why I asked about updating (Not altering) the VIN. "The VIN can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage." My engine has been upgraded, in some forums I've heard of dealers calling GM to update the GM database with the new RPO code.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
"updating" the VIN is the same as altering it. Once the vehicle is built, they can't do anything, even to the RPO codes. Now you can add a sticker to the RPO code list in the glove box, but not the VIN. The VIN is a nationwide database that cannot be changed.

You'd have to tell the dealer or parts company what the new RPO code is.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Yeah that's a big no. even though you did an engine swap, your vin or RPO codes will never reflect it. If that was the case there wouldn't be so many "clones" out there. People could alter the vins and make the car something it wasn't meant to be and sell it for much more.

I had a V8 firebird that was an original V6 car per the vin, so the insurance still though it was a base model v6 even though it had all the running gear from a trans am in it.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
A vin refers to no more than what the truck left the factory with. As said above. It is the vehicles fingerprint. It does not include everything that an RPO code sheet does. Its not meant to reflect every option available. Just meant to positively identify if it is the vehicle in question. Heck, even removing a vin plate can have legal consequences under the wrong conditions. For that reason many times even when doing full on rotisserie restorations many people won't touch the vin plate. Just in case someone tries to raise questions about authenticity or fraud.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
judsonlimited said:
"updating" the VIN is the same as altering it. Once the vehicle is built, they can't do anything, even to the RPO codes. Now you can add a sticker to the RPO code list in the glove box, but not the VIN. The VIN is a nationwide database that cannot be changed.

You'd have to tell the dealer or parts company what the new RPO code is.
Now that is some darn good info about the updated stickers!

· Servicemen
5,369 Posts
The reason parts counters at dealers ask for a VIN is because it narrows down the part search to that vehicles build. They are only searching parts for one vehicle instead of having to search the entire system and all the variables.

If you use the wrong vin you could get the wrong parts as just because vehicle is similar does not mean its the same.

· Registered
7,114 Posts
DarkAbyss said:
The GM parts place won't sell me parts with the matching VIN, another place can't look up parts since it wasn't included as part of truck.

Once an option is added to the vehicle after purchase (All factory parts), is there a way to update the GM VIN database?

I need a VIN # to appease that GM service gods. Does anyone have a VIN for a 2004 Chevy Silverado regular cab with all options maxed out especially the auxiliary battery? Better yet, is there a way to generate or find a custom VIN? (No luck on cars.com)
I look on ebay for trucks for sale with the options I desire and use that vin lol easy peazy kinda sleazy but it works

· Servicemen
5,369 Posts
That could come back and bite you. Often there are production changes to parts and assembly's during a model year and even between assembly plants. Using the wrong VIN could get you a part that does not work because your vehicle has a different version of the part that is not-inter-changeable with a new version of the part.

· Registered
572 Posts
DarkAbyss said:
.....In some forums, I saw dealers will call GM tech support to update the RPO codes associated with the VIN. This was in the case of an engine upgrade. I wanted to confirm if this was possible.
If this "engine upgrade" was done after the vehicle was built at the GM factory, of course GM will not modify the database for the vehicle. It has nothing to do with GM anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.