Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to make the headlights dead when ignition is off on the pre 98 Chevy trucks? I've accidentally left my lights on and so has my uncle, but dead batteries r a serious pain on my diesel. 2 dead batts don't want to jump start

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
Do you not have the audible dinger that reminds you? My 95 had one that would ding if I left the parking lights or headlights on without the key being on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

· Registered
294 Posts
Robbor said:
Is there a way to make the headlights dead when ignition is off on the pre 98 Chevy trucks? I've accidentally left my lights on and so has my uncle, but dead batteries r a serious pain on my diesel. 2 dead batts don't want to jump start
You could use a relay to do that.
Connect the positive trigger terminal of the relay to any underdash wire that is hot with the ignition on and dead with ignition off.
Ground the other side of the relay trigger circuit.
Then find the power wire that feeds the headlight circuit, cut it, and then join the other 2 terminals of the relay in between - so that now the headlight power wire feeds into the relay, and then the relay feeds into the other side of the wire you just cut.
Hope this makes sense to you.

CarMech97

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Little piece of tape with a note on it on your gauge cluster for a few weeks works. Had to do the same thing to my girlfriends car after she moved into one without auto lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
572 Posts
Robbor said:
Wouldn't those bright white and red things on the front and rear of the truck be an indication that the lights were left on? Not sure how someone can get out of the vehicle and walk away without noticing those bright things at the ends of the vehicle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.